Help! neglected clownfish

emmilyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never really posted on a forum before but I really hope this gets out because I have no clue what to do.
there is a pet store in my hometown that isn't very good so I don't go there often but I went the other day and they have a saltwater display tank.
half the water in this tank is evaporated I can only imagine the salinity levels or really just how toxic the water is. Apparently there used to be lots of fish in this tank but now there's only one very sick looking clownfish it was very pale and basically half dead. I have thought about trying to buy it but I only have one nano tank which already has a pair of clowns and I don't have enough room to get another tank I'd have to convert one of my freshwater tanks or use my quarantine tank.
My hands are kinda tied I want to save this poor fish but I'm not sure how to help so if anyone has any suggestions that would be much appreciated.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! That is always so unfortunate when people whose business is selling live animals don’t care for them properly. It’s admirable that you want to help this fish, but think about the possible ramification if you bring it home: it might not survive the shock of moving to a better tank (higher pH for example) or, it could cause a disease issue with your two clowns. I’d say your hands are indeed tied, unless you could put it in your QT. One thing you can be proactive about would be not to shop at this store in the future.....let’s see if others here have ideas for you!
Jay

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! That is always so unfortunate when people whose business is selling live animals don’t care for them properly. It’s admirable that you want to help this fish, but think about the possible ramification if you bring it home: it might not survive the shock of moving to a better tank (higher pH for example) or, it could cause a disease issue with your two clowns. I’d say your hands are indeed tied, unless you could put it in your QT. One thing you can be proactive about would be not to shop at this store in the future.....let’s see if others here have ideas for you!
Jay
I definetly agree with this. Its a tough situation but unless you can get it in your QT to treat it, youre hands are tied. Sorry to hear about this. Good luck though. "But in the end its only a passing thing, this shadow; even darkness must pass." - Samwise Gamgee

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best you can do is never support that LFS.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how you feel. A lfs of mine had a great looking “black gladiator” or something clown that was covered front to back in brook. I had the same impulse thought but did as others have already stated.
Even if you save it, then you have to deal with 3 clowns which is another potential issue for that fish.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back