HELP! New fish just came, QT emergency

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a coral beauty that came in and unfortunately I was planning on being lazy and just putting them directly into my DT tank but I noticed he has something going on like a minor scale injury and I saw a white spot on him. Long story short I am setting up a fluval spec 5 gallon which is the only thing I have right now with fresh salt water to put them in but I do not have anything bacterial wise other than live rock from my main tank which isn't a lot. none of the pet shops near me have bio-spira in stock, I have some on order already but it's not coming till Sunday. Do you think the small coral beauty will be okay if I do daily water changes in the tank till sunday? Will even a few small 2-3" pieces of live rock rubble from my DT tank help?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
use your tank water to start qt,rubble is great ,water change from there..best wishes
and yes use purigen,unless have to medicate

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i couldn't scrounge up much LR, my petco is out of biospira and I have a smoker going full of bbq right now i really cant drive far away from. Guess I will just have to do ammonia testing and water change today until Sunday unless I can make it somewhere tomorrow. Should i run the bag of purigen untill the biospira arrives? How long will purigen keep ammonia bound?

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15937903129748316164923371380200.jpg
15937903129748316164923371380200.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
breathing is ok? just keep close eye on,close up pic of both sides of fish if poss

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how purigen works. A quick read leads me to believe it will absorb ammonia and nitrites. If that’s the case, yes you can add it and it will help.
Edit: it says purigen darkens as it’s used up and can be bleached, rinsed and reused.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the fish eating? They are relentless grazers. Bare tanks can be rough on them. Sometimes they will endlessly pick at the bare glass for food wearing themselves out. Do you have any Massitck? Mixing it with food and then smearing it on the rock, or spots of glass allow the fish to forage a bit and get food.
Leave the lights off. Add a few plastic aquarium plants. Wrap the back and ends with some dark paper. All of these will help the fish to relax a bit and lower its stress.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice guys. I do not have masstick, he did not take flake or pellet, I will try mysis later today.

I really lucked out and my father was able and "willing" to drive out and get a bottle of biospira near him and is bringing it over along with some 2" pvc fittings he had laying around the house. I will turn off lights and tape up some brown paper for now and I should be able to run out tomorrow and grab some fake plants etc. Will add some more dry rock for now.

I have seachem cupramine, test kit and prazipro on the way Sunday, should I start treatment? He has a white fleck near his head behind his eye and then what appears to be some scale damage as well. See pics

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is picking at the live rock alot and seems more lively now.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the fish eating? They are relentless grazers. Bare tanks can be rough on them. Sometimes they will endlessly pick at the bare glass for food wearing themselves out. Do you have any Massitck? Mixing it with food and then smearing it on the rock, or spots of glass allow the fish to forage a bit and get food.
Leave the lights off. Add a few plastic aquarium plants. Wrap the back and ends with some dark paper. All of these will help the fish to relax a bit and lower its stress.

Yes and cut the lights. Use the room ambient light for now.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200703_132600.jpg

Ok lights are off, got a backdrop up, activated carbon, fluval ceramic media pellets with a filter sponge and dosed 20ml of biospira. Gonna let the little guy rest and start treatment I guess on Sunday. Thanks for all the help

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice guys. I do not have masstick, he did not take flake or pellet, I will try mysis later today.

I really lucked out and my father was able and "willing" to drive out and get a bottle of biospira near him and is bringing it over along with some 2" pvc fittings he had laying around the house. I will turn off lights and tape up some brown paper for now and I should be able to run out tomorrow and grab some fake plants etc. Will add some more dry rock for now.

I have seachem cupramine, test kit and prazipro on the way Sunday, should I start treatment? He has a white fleck near his head behind his eye and then what appears to be some scale damage as well. See pics
Ionic copper like Cupramine & Brightwells can be a bit tougher on dwarf angels than "chelated" copper like Copper Power or Coppersafe.
The trick to dosing with either but especially with Cupramine is to ignore the directions on the bottle. Dosing two big doses can be problematic for fish.
Better to do this:
1. Measure the actual water capacity of your tank. There are online tank calculators that can help, but it's better if you actually measure the tank's liquid capacity. This way you will know the actual water capacity of your tank. Most tanks are NOT the size they are labeled. Often under size which can be a problem.
2. Once you know the actual liquid capacity, calculate out the total number of "drops" of Cupramine to get to therapeutic. Then spread out the dosing to get to therapeutic over 5-7 days. Small doses in the AM, lunch, PM, allows you the luxury of watching for a copper sensitive fish before damage is done. Drops per gallon of tank water is approx. 4 drops. But test, test, test as you get close to the calculated amount needed for therapeutic level of 0.50 for saltwater tanks.
Best is to use a Hanna HL Copper Checker. Those color matching test kits are horrible for accuracy. Way too easy to under/over dose trying to match those colors.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also keep in mind the biospira will use up oxygen. Do you have an extra powerhead to aim at the water surface?
I have the return agitating the surface and I have two airstones running, one in the display and one in the fluval specs back "sump" if you will. That should be plenty right? Ordered up some masstick from premium aquatics. About to strap some sore to a rock.

Back