help picking wrasse list.

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im looking to get 3 maybe 4 wrasses, i am finding pickings very slim at this time but seems like these are the current options:

hooded wrasse
flame wrasse
pyle wrasse
crescent tail wrasse
rhomboid wrasse
eight line flasher wrasse
magma wrasse
lineatus wrasse

I cant afford some of these but im probably willing to drop $200-$400 total for a couple right now. in the case of the lineatus and rhomboid that would only cover one. I mainly want help with the mix, say i want to get 4 what should be the first 2 to go in? if you have a good source for wrasses in the $100-300 range i would appreciate the help. I know im not picking the best time to go wrasse hunting but i really need more fish. any help is appreciated.

OP
OP
dohc97

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the regal in the avatar :)

If you still have the 105, that limits your options a bit. I would highly recommend following @evolved's Wrasse Chart for compatibility and size restrictions.

yes, the 105 is what is getting stocked, it is just the regal and the wrasses that will go in. i do understand the limitation but i could not get the wife to budge on a larger foot print tank. I have owned several of these at time or another but not really together. I would love to see good pictures of a hooded. I also know im having to pay a premium at this time due to availability. If people have other suggestions im all ears but nothing that eats shrimp since i love my sexy shrimps.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll chime in until Hunter does. I've have or have had all of those. Of those there are multiples from the same sub family that may not get along in a 105. I've added them together:

hooded wrasse
flame, magma
pyle, lineatus and rhomboid
crescent tail
eight line flasher wrasse (aggressive for flasher but middle of the road for cirrhilabrus)

Tough to pick as I do not know your favorites and just overall a tough thing to do for someone but grabbing one from each subfamily should get you started. Of all of those I would add the Pyles last. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
dohc97

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im for sure trying to have this tank be as peaceful as possible, i was just kind of posting some of the ones i know are available currently, if i could special order i might choose others. I had bad luck with a pyle before(very aggresive) and would only do a lineatus or rhombus not both. Does anyone have good pics of a hooded? im thinking of making that the first one in, or maybe a crescent/pintail

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
im for sure trying to have this tank be as peaceful as possible, i was just kind of posting some of the ones i know are available currently, if i could special order i might choose others. I had bad luck with a pyle before(very aggresive) and would only do a lineatus or rhombus not both. Does anyone have good pics of a hooded? im thinking of making that the first one in, or maybe a crescent/pintail
I had a hooded and now a Nahacky. Check my build build. There should be a pic there. And yes I have both a Lineatus and a Rhomboid.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Color wise, would you say a hooded is a pretty bright fish? Comparable to say a flame?

Yes and I would say preferred. When a flame is dominant the yellow belly stands out but more times than not the belly is more white, at least in my experience. When a more dominant wrasse is in the tank the yellow seems to fade. Other may have differing opinions. I love my Nahacky and his colors.

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The list below has the most coloration variant and peaceful mix as well If I have to choose.

flame wrasse
crescent tail wrasse
rhomboid wrasse (Or lineatus)

It’s hard to get wrasses right now. I am wanting to get some new addition as well. Where are you currently getting them from?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am in your shoes, I will get these wrasses
Diamond Tail Flasher
Eightline Flasher
Flame Fairy
Pintail Fairy.

I think in this group the Flame going to be king, then Eightline, Diamond tail and Pintail.

OP
OP
dohc97

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The list below has the most coloration variant and peaceful mix as well If I have to choose.

flame wrasse
crescent tail wrasse
rhomboid wrasse (Or lineatus)

It’s hard to get wrasses right now. I am wanting to get some new addition as well. Where are you currently getting them from?

I was looking at TSM and Nyaquatic as well as local

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not get a C. pylei ...too aggressive. Agree with Orion's rec to do two flashers. They will display much more often than with only one. Interestingly my C. isoscoles is dominant over my Eightline flasher.

As long as you follow the guidelines in Hunter's article linked above just go with what appeals to your eye and budget.

OP
OP
dohc97

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am in your shoes, I will get these wrasses
Diamond Tail Flasher
Eightline Flasher
Flame Fairy
Pintail Fairy.

I think in this group the Flame going to be king, then Eightline, Diamond tail and Pintail.

i had a flame before, bad experience, time for something new, ill wait for confirmation tomorrow to let you guys know what i ordered but it does include one from your list and i can see getting at least 2 more from it. thank you

OP
OP
dohc97

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not get a C. pylei ...too aggressive. Agree with Orion's rec to do two flashers. They will display much more often than with only one. Interestingly my C. isoscoles is dominant over my Eightline flasher.

As long as you follow the guidelines in Hunter's article linked above just go with what appeals to your eye and budget.

agree, no pylei, i had issues before. i just ordered 2 wrasses, thats all i can swing for now until i get a job. Once its confirmed ill let you guys know what i ordered. I am still going to get 2 more but that will be after our qt.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know of the negative complains regarding LA lately, but I still like to order from them. I have stock notification of the fish I want and order when they come in. I have had good and bad experiences with them, but always the warranty cover the bad experiences. I am reasonably good at keeping them so that if the fish come in in good shape, almost all the time, I can get them to live.
Also had very good experiences with NYAquatic

Good luck with your tank and wrasses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dohc97

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Orion, I like liveaquaria but prefer dd fish. The pricing there is insane lately though. I'm looking forward to my order coming in and fish being healthy

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back