Help plan flow for 48"x30"x20" peninsula

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ELOS 120XL coming and will be using it in a peninsula style. The overflow is actually going to be in the left corner (rather than the standard right) for my peninsula configuration. Below you'll see my planned aquascape (building it to be pretty close to the design).

The main cantilever will have SPS across the top, and the two small islands at the end of the tank will have a magnifica anemone on the pedestal and BTA's on the other.

I currently have two Maxspect XF350's that I'm thinking will be mounted vertically on both sides, running in some random reefcrest mode. I'm worried that it may create a ton of turbulence where the anemones are, and not much for the SPS (whereas I'd like it to be turbulent over SPS and a little more chill for the anemones, especially my magnifica, it doesn't like flow at all).

I was also thinking of adding two AI Nero 5's to create some wider flow, but that's still a ton of flow directed to the anemone end.

Anyway, I'd love some suggestions!

What I won't be doing:
1. no closed loop/drilling
2. mounting pumps on any other side other than the "back" wall/shortside

What I hope will work:
1. Maxspects will provide plenty of flow for the SPS somehow
2. Maybe add some tunze rocks?

Side view (left side is backwall):
Aquascape - Side.jpg

Aquascape - Side Measurements.jpg

Top view:
Aquascape - Top.jpg

Aquascape - Top Measurements.jpg

I was thinking of mounting the gyres this way (three circles could be additional AI Neros):
Option 3.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly think the AI Neros will be overkill. You should be able to run the pair of XF350s to provide you with enough flow. While the XF350s will push a lot of water - it's fairly spread out as opposed to more of a focused cone that you'd get with something like a AI nero.

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also curious to see suggestions here. I have a tank with very similar dimensions ( 48 x 30 x 24) that's also a peninsula. I'm not sold on my current flow setup, which is 2 octopulse 4s on opposite ends of the tank in corners diagonal to each other. Then one octopulse 2 which is set on one end to direct flow along the bottom.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kinetic, hey man, I remember you from the Bay Area Reefers. My last tank was nearly that size but not as tall (only 19”) or a peninsula. I also had a floating structure; controlling the sand underneath was a bit tricky. You’ve got 3” of space between the sand and the underside of the structure. I would go a bit higher although not too high since you’ll be cutting down on how tall the coral on top can grow before it reaches the water level.

32A5A562-BD51-48D0-A459-4EB1492A50EE.jpeg
FA8A9A77-61FF-4335-A15C-5C1D853AF76C.jpeg

asydabass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 48x24 shallow peninsula (SPS dominate). I just put two vertical gyres on the back walls as you described. I’m going to spend some time tweaking them this weekend, but so far I’m not thrilled with this configuration. I also have a reefbreeders rpm (fantastic affordable wavemaker!) on the wall. I picked up an MP40 today that I’ll work into the mix.

I look forward to seeing how your setup comes together.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly think the AI Neros will be overkill. You should be able to run the pair of XF350s to provide you with enough flow. While the XF350s will push a lot of water - it's fairly spread out as opposed to more of a focused cone that you'd get with something like a AI nero.

I have two Nero 3's in my small 32 gallon tank, and it seems that they provide the widest flow I've seen, so I was thinking they would create a bit more flow right in that area, whereas the gyres would just throw water to the other end and then scatter as it hits the walls (or actually create a gyre if I run them in sync). But I am thinking of just pointing the gyres at the walls, instead of straight down the sides of the tank, so it just bounces all over. The actual "flow rate" seems plenty, I think I just worry it won't be turbulent enough for the SPS.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also curious to see suggestions here. I have a tank with very similar dimensions ( 48 x 30 x 24) that's also a peninsula. I'm not sold on my current flow setup, which is 2 octopulse 4s on opposite ends of the tank in corners diagonal to each other. Then one octopulse 2 which is set on one end to direct flow along the bottom.

What are you keeping in your tank? If you're OK with pumps on opposite ends of a peninsula, I know that having two pointed at each other and randomizing their flow will create ideal random turbulence throughout the tank, which is great for SPS. I'm keeping the three panes of glass clear for my setup, so I'm going to rely on bouncing things off everywhere to try to achieve what I need.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kinetic, hey man, I remember you from the Bay Area Reefers. My last tank was nearly that size but not as tall (only 19”) or a peninsula. I also had a floating structure; controlling the sand underneath was a bit tricky. You’ve got 3” of space between the sand and the underside of the structure. I would go a bit higher although not too high since you’ll be cutting down on how tall the coral on top can grow before it reaches the water level.

32A5A562-BD51-48D0-A459-4EB1492A50EE.jpeg
FA8A9A77-61FF-4335-A15C-5C1D853AF76C.jpeg

Hey yes I remember you!

That tank is awesome.

Good call on the spacing under the structure. I'll think about giving it a bit more room.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 48x24 shallow peninsula (SPS dominate). I just put two vertical gyres on the back walls as you described. I’m going to spend some time tweaking them this weekend, but so far I’m not thrilled with this configuration. I also have a reefbreeders rpm (fantastic affordable wavemaker!) on the wall. I picked up an MP40 today that I’ll work into the mix.

I look forward to seeing how your setup comes together.

Let me know if you find a good solution. I'd love to hear what you've seen.

One idea I have is to place the gyres closer together (vertically), and to bounce the flow off glass so that I just create a bunch of turbulence throughout, rather than trying to throw the flow down to the other end or even to create a gyre.

asydabass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have each gyre set up identically: the bottom half is blowing straight ahead, more or less parallel to the glass while the upper half is angled inward targeting each other’s flow roughly 2/3 of the way towards the other end.

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you keeping in your tank? If you're OK with pumps on opposite ends of a peninsula, I know that having two pointed at each other and randomizing their flow will create ideal random turbulence throughout the tank, which is great for SPS. I'm keeping the three panes of glass clear for my setup, so I'm going to rely on bouncing things off everywhere to try to achieve what I need.
The plan is to eventually keep SPS. The tank has only been up and running about 6 weeks so that's a ways off. I'd love to be able to get away with all the pumps on one side but I feel like I'd have to crank up my octopulse 4s too high to push enough water to the far side of the tank.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have each gyre set up identically: the bottom half is blowing straight ahead, more or less parallel to the glass while the upper half is angled inward targeting each other’s flow roughly 2/3 of the way towards the other end.

I totally forgot you can adjust the two sides of the gyres to point in different directions!! That changes everything.

I’m going to do the same. Bottoms will be straight ahead, tops hitting the walls somewhere (not sure yet).

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plan is to eventually keep SPS. The tank has only been up and running about 6 weeks so that's a ways off. I'd love to be able to get away with all the pumps on one side but I feel like I'd have to crank up my octopulse 4s too high to push enough water to the far side of the tank.
I’m not too sure what kind of spread the octpulses have, but running even 70% you could get the right flow to the other side. How far to the other end will you have SPS?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love sicce voyager 3's. You can twist the nozzle and have two swipe by eachother to get a nice flow for the sps. Plus they are anemone proof.

asydabass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’m still tinkering with flow. My biggest issue at the moment is getting decent flow at the far end without having the back end have way too much flow. Neither the 4k gyre nor the mp40 have any issue getting the flow 4ft, but I‘m not comfortable with how strong it is near the back wall.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back