OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking to add coral and inverts, I would just add them straight in and start the fallow clock from there.
Bringing disease in from inverts isn’t incredibly common, but it is possible so something to be wary of. Best way to get them in without qt’ing inverts is by getting inverts from fishless systems so there is no avenue for infection.
Makes sense, thanks

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do six weeks I'd do three months, who has room for error in this game $

but yes any fallow prep is better than none for sure.
I guess I need to revamp my fish room and add some space for more receiving/qt tanks. I assume there is something in the stickies I can check out regarding qt'ing coral and what additional equipment I would need like better lighting and possibly a protein skimmer and power heads.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
qt'ing coral is mainly so you can observe during the wait time if it has attachments like flatworms, algae or aiptasia etc and that wait period with no fish present (fallow) starves out some, but not all disease components commonly associated with our setups. ich/crypto for example is one where a successful fallow period can prevent cross contam into the display tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been quarantining without medication but plant on qt'ing with copper, API GC and Rally Pro for fish moving forward. My 2 remaining fish have been removed from DT and are in a copper qt now. The only thing in the tank is snails and I have begun a 6 week fallow period for the dt with snails. I was just wondering if adding coral would affect the fallow period.

I am not sure what you mean but "Fallow prepped".

I would skip the Rally Pro, its use is redundant to the copper and GC, and it is not as effective as either of those two.

I prefer to isolate new corals for 30 days - both to try to reduce coral pests, as well as to avoid introducing fish diseases along with the coral. If you are buying corals from a vendor who does not keep fish in their own coral systems, the risk is reduced.

That said, if you are using a 60 days fallow period, adding some corals in the first 30 days would be fine.

Jay

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
qt'ing coral is mainly so you can observe during the wait time if it has attachments like flatworms, algae or aiptasia etc and that wait period with no fish present (fallow) starves out some, but not all disease components commonly associated with our setups. ich/crypto for example is one where a successful fallow period can prevent cross contam into the display tank

Makes sense. I don't want to take any more chances after all the fish I lost with this issue.

Thanks for the help

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back