Help please!

krystlemike

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 14, 2014
Messages
80
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 56 gallon tan that I have had for about 6 months. Everything has been going great and all the levels are where they should be. But here in the last few days there has been like a slim build up on the glass and I have to clean it everyday...maybe twice a day. Is there anything that I need to be doing to stop this slim growth or is this normal? Thanks in advance! :-) Just curious if this is normal or I'm doing something wrong, ty!
 

Attachments

  • 1420394493318.jpg
    1420394493318.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 208
  • 1420394519770.jpg
    1420394519770.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 163
  • 1420394548762.jpg
    1420394548762.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 147
What are your nitrates and phosphates at? This algae growth is typical to high nitrates and phosphates. I also believe I see tubes for a canister filter. They tend to be nitrate factories, pumping nitrates back into your tank, unless they are cleaned with great frequency. Also, what is you water change schedule like?
 
Not sure about phosphate. So is there a reason to have the canister? Or skimmer is enough?
 
how long at you running your lights throughout the day? I know algae loves the lights and will feed off of them.
 
We try to keep it at 10 hours but sometimes we forget and let it laps to 14 hours :-(
 
We try to keep it at 10 hours but sometimes we forget and let it laps to 14 hours :-(
Isnt that light programmable?(If not 2 five dollar timers) I would go down to 8hrs a day and see if that helps. 14 hrs is where the algae is having a hay day
 
Ty so much. I will go and buy a timer. Also check out my phosphates, what u think about just having the skimmer for filtration? To avoid more crap coming from my canister?
 
What's cheato? How long u been with skimmer only? I just hope I don't make a mistake stopping my canister and running skimmer only. Ty again!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new