OP
OP
Anihiel1

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no other tank to put him in and I don't want to kill him. Is it a danger to my corals? I do have a huge mithrax crab (WAS a tiny one) that snacked on all my peppermint shrimp, so he might not last a day anyway

Pablopufferfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no other tank to put him in and I don't want to kill him. Is it a danger to my corals? I do have a huge mithrax crab (WAS a tiny one) that snacked on all my peppermint shrimp, so he might not last a day anyway
Trust me, that mantis shrimp will eat that crab no matter it’s size. I think they don’t eat coral.(truly don’t know)

OP
OP
Anihiel1

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes he is currently captured- he never made it into the tank, just got the live rock shipment today so it's all quarantined at the moment.

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a second smaller tank for it and feed it live foods. Definitely dont put it back in your tank or every fish or small creature that moves would find itself eaten. They have highly advanced eyesight, super cool animals. Mind your fingers also, they can lay your hand open easily.

OP
OP
Anihiel1

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about plastic? As in just a basic 3.5 gallon from petsmart. Best I could find on short notice & not sure I'd trust the glass strength on a small tank. He seems pretty docile so far- moved him first to get a pic then again out of the starfish & crab quarantine. I'll give him some meaty chunks now.

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about plastic? As in just a basic 3.5 gallon from petsmart. Best I could find on short notice & not sure I'd trust the glass strength on a small tank. He seems pretty docile so far- moved him first to get a pic then again out of the starfish & crab quarantine. I'll give him some meaty chunks now.
I think itll be fine temporarily, how long is the Mantis? Just dont tease it at the glass and it should leave the plastic siding alone. You'll need live rock in that tank as well. Their punch has the force of a .22 caliber bullet, so I stress this 3.5 gal being temporary.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys are some of the coolest creatures on the planet. However, they do not do well unless we actually set up a tank directly for them. They will not eat corals, but most snails and crabs are fair game. Some fish, but not so much with the smashers.
Good luck!!!

OP
OP
Anihiel1

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think itll be fine temporarily, how long is the Mantis? Just dont tease it at the glass and it should leave the plastic siding alone. You'll need live rock in that tank as well. Their punch has the force of a .22 caliber bullet, so I stress this 3.5 gal being temporary.
I would say 3 inches. Hopefully this will be good enough to make it until stores reopen. I'm in Jersey, we're getting hit hard with Covid. We're not even allowed in most stores, curbside pickup or delivery only. LFS's closed.

Leemcg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool find. Very interesting animals. Just don’t let it near your DT, anything living will most likely be beaten to death and eaten. And watch your fingers, evens a small one like that can split you open real easy. Glad to see you are keeping him, they don’t play well with others, but alone are really cool.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back