Help!! Please

MarkAshlee2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently had green film algae on my aquarium glass so today I cleaned it all off and did a 50 litre water change (tank is 300 litres) 6 hours later the glass is green again!!! I have a uv filter also. Why is this happening?? Thank you in advance

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently had green film algae on my aquarium glass so today I cleaned it all off and did a 50 litre water change (tank is 300 litres) 6 hours later the glass is green again!!! I have a uv filter also. Why is this happening?? Thank you in advance
Algae floats around in water, and so long as there is just a bit left that can get on the glass and there are plenty of nutrients, the algae would reproduce super quickly and cover the glass again.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nutrient levels, is the tank near a window, in sun?

OP
OP
M

MarkAshlee2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae floats around in water, and so long as there is just a bit left that can get on the glass and there are plenty of nutrients, the algae would reproduce super quickly and cover the glass again.
Thanks for replying, how can i get rid of it? And will it kill my corals and fish, before I cleaned the glass the water behind it was crystal clear. I don't get it. Thanks

OP
OP
M

MarkAshlee2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nutrient levels, is the tank near a window, in sun?
I'll check tomorrow my levels, the tank is next to a window but has been there a while with no effect on it, it isn't in direct light. Could I leave my lights off for a few days? Would that help?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for replying, how can i get rid of it? And will it kill my corals and fish, before I cleaned the glass the water behind it was crystal clear. I don't get it. Thanks
No it won't kill corals unless it get so bad it smothers the corals. It may outcompete corals for nutrients though. Water was clear because the algae was on the glass, when you cleaned the glass the algae would go into the water.

OP
OP
M

MarkAshlee2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it won't kill corals unless it get so bad it smothers the corals. It may outcompete corals for nutrients though. Water was clear because the algae was on the glass, when you cleaned the glass the algae would go into the water.
Would keeping the lights off for a few days kill it?

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your phosphates? What is the flow rate on that UV? What is your PH?
If you have one, close the blind on that window and see if that helps. I tend to get more algae on the window side of my tank, even though it is indirect light. How often are you changing the socks?

Back