Help popeye

TaskForceYankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just pulled my coral beauty out of my 29 biocube and put him in my 6 gallon quarantine tank and am treating with paraguard and kanaplex... Been three days and no improvement... Anybody got any advice my salinity is the same in both tanks

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try widening the spectrum of antibiotics in the tank. Furan 2, Kanaplex and metroplex will do the trick. Do you think is a parasite or something that caused the infection? There is usually an underlying reason they get bacterial infections like ick or flukes or something that lowers their ability to fight off bacterial infections.

OP
OP
TaskForceYankee

TaskForceYankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I've had him about a month and a half with corals a clown a watchmen goby and a fire fish and was doing fine then one day I woke up and his eye was puffy and glazed over everything else in the tank is fine

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well try widening the antibiotic spectrum using those 3 meds at the same time. Follow the directions of each and treat for 10 days. If you'd like we can explore what may have caused it.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Popeye in one eye or both eyes?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So popeye is a bacterial infection. It's usually secondary to something else... an abrasion (cut), parasites ect. So the first thing we need to look at is... are any of your other fish displaying symptoms of parasites? Have they ever had ick or flukes? I would mention velvet but they would probably all be dead and you might have mentioned that already lol. Think about rubbing against the sand, rocks or powerheads even. Twitching their heads, being reclusive and hiding alot, white dots on the fins or body (even just a few and even if it was weeks ago), swimming into the flow of a powerhead alot.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One eye. I would like to know what caused it. I'm not sure we're to even start

Popeye in one eye usually denotes injury.

Popeye in both eyes means a bacterial infection.

Cloudy eye(s) can be a bacterial infection or sometimes flukes (see pic below.)

Diplostomum_spathaceum.jpg

I would keep using Kanaplex to ward off any potential infection, but also dose Epsom salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gals) to relieve the swelling.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh. that's where you were going with that. I was right, just one eye short of the right track. lol That's good news though right? It's an injury and can heal and infection just needs to be warded off right?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh. that's where you were going with that. I was right, just one eye short of the right track. lol That's good news though right? It's an injury and can heal and infection just needs to be warded off right?

Usually heals on it's own; Epsom salt can help with that. Malachite Green/Methylene Blue also helps heal, but not many folks keep those on hand and neither do many LFS. Of course, any injury has the potential to get infected so dosing antibiotics preemptively is not a bad idea if the fish is already in QT.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually heals on it's own; Epsom salt can help with that. Malachite Green/Methylene Blue also helps heal, but not many folks keep those on hand and neither do many LFS. Of course, any injury has the potential to get infected so dosing antibiotics preemptively is not a bad idea if the fish is already in QT.

Cool I'll remember that for next time. Always learning new things :)

OP
OP
TaskForceYankee

TaskForceYankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's gotten worse both eyes now still no luck with antibiotics she still swims fine eats and seems content

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tang had it in one eye for about 3 weeks or so, It went away on its own.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. If your able to get a pic, it may be helpful. We might notice something that seemed innocuous to you, but denotes something more serious in context.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you how to cure it in 4 seconds, but you won't like my cure. :D

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back