Help ! Power head blowing sand everywhere!

BigFeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 750 gph power head in my 29 bc with like 22-25lbs of LR and the tank has been going for three weeks. no matter how I position it the current hits the glass and circle around and pushes sand until the bottom of the tank shows. It's making me mad because I don't want to keep moving my sand around . Any suggestions ?

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, that pump should be fine in there. Try placing it on the back wall, only a few inches above the sand and aim it towards the water surface. Should also help to create a bit of an undertow.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems like that close to the sand it would possible pick the sand up and pull it into the current maker, atleast if it is lit and fine sand...

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trade it for 2 smaller powerheads .... will give you more diverse flow with less force concentrated on one spot so less sand will be lifted... unless you are using powder thin sand!

OP
OP
B

BigFeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trade it for 2 smaller powerheads .... will give you more diverse flow with less force concentrated on one spot so less sand will be lifted... unless you are using powder thin sand!

using aragonite . But awesome idea thanks!!!!
+++++1

phi delt reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
couple things you can do...

1. keep it near the top blowing up for the first little bit - your sand needs a couple months to get clumpy once its all live (i assume you are using some new stuff)
  2. get a larger grain sand and put a layer on top of your current sand bed. it will be harder to kick up
  3. have it blow right at the rocks that way the slower deflected flow does most of the circulation within your tank.

OP
OP
B

BigFeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been blowing toward top and tried at rocks . I'm just going to give it to my bro for his 65 gal cichlid tank and il get a couple 250s. Thank you eeerbody.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many different sizes or aragonite sand. I had the same problem in my tank and ended up replacing the sand. I went with caribsea seaflor special grade reef sand, its a courser sand. As I got into sps I found this was the best solution. That or go BB but I like the look of sand.

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bare bottom: best solution ever

True..!! but not as aesthetically pleasing for all of us!!!

What about two 250gph powerheads

Probably will work... depends on what corals you plan on keeping.... the best I believe will be to upgrade to an mp10... these pumps are awesomee!!! and you can play with the setting to see what suits you best... plus also will not look to bulky in your tank!!

Dylan7huskies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many different sizes or aragonite sand. I had the same problem in my tank and ended up replacing the sand. I went with caribsea seaflor special grade reef sand, its a courser sand. As I got into sps I found this was the best solution. That or go BB but I like the look of sand.
Did you have to take the fish out to switch the sand?

Waterbox20gclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly hope he’s got it all settled by now lol! ;Smuggrin
My sand blows around my tank, it leaves a bare bottom, area, cause of the wave pump, its a lil low in my tank, cause I don’t want any dead spots, Do caribsea seaflor special grade reef sand work? I want to switch the sand so bad it irks me everytime I look at my tank, no matter how many times I move sand where it’s bare bottom at, it moves again

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.8%
Back