Help! Recirculating Co2 Fail

Fallenreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warning... big block of background text. I have been running recirculating CO2 scrubber (BRS media) for a few weeks. Yesterday my skimmer cup overflowed and started pulling wet CO2 media into the tank. As expected my ph skyrocketed 9 and it took me 6 hours to get it back down to under 8.5. My alkalinity also jumped from 7.6 to 10 during this period and I did water change to bring it back down to ~8.5 dkh and turned off my calcium reactor. I have been waiting for my alkalinity to fall back into my "normal range of 7.6" but the weird thing is, even without dosing anything related to alkalinity, my alk keeps jumping up at night until right before the light turns on. (It would go to 8.0 at the end of the day, but back up to 8.5 at night until the morning). It has been this pattern for the past 5 days now and I am worried I threw off the chemistry in my tank. The other parameters in my tank is 425 calcium, 1350 magnesium. Is there anything else I should be doing to get my tank back on track (Alk back to 7.6 and turning my calcium reactor back on). The only thing I have dosed in the past 5 days is a total of 3 ppm of sodium nitrate (3 different days) since I have read that nitrate can increase Alk. But it still doesnt explain the .5 increase of alkalinity every night I have been getting without my calcium reactor or dosing anything else. I have discontinued dosing of sodium nitrate right now and I am still experiencing the spike up in alkalinity. Any advice is appreciated! Thank you in advance!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any suggestions, but those more knowledgeable might want to know how you're doing your alkalinity testing (is this manually with a kit or through something like an Apex?) Hope you're able to resolve everything.

OP
OP
F

Fallenreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any suggestions, but those more knowledgeable might want to know how you're doing your alkalinity testing (is this manually with a kit or through something like an Apex?) Hope you're able to resolve everything.
I check the alk with KHG (Test every 2 hours), then double check the readings with Hanna and salifert. They are all testing pretty consistently.

OP
OP
F

Fallenreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what my alk graph looks like. Even last night the alk went from 8.1 to 8.7 this morning and I have not dosed anything

76CC30D9-4CBE-4285-A0C2-FFC7D8DB0866.jpeg

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I have dosed in the past 5 days is a total of 3 ppm of sodium nitrate (3 different days) since I have read that nitrate can increase Alk. But it still doesnt explain the .5 increase of alkalinity every night I have been getting without my calcium reactor or dosing anything else. I have discontinued dosing of sodium nitrate right now and I am still experiencing the spike up in alkalinity. Any advice is appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Perhaps pH drops low enough at night to dissolve more of the media that settle around the tank system.

OP
OP
F

Fallenreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps pH drops low enough at night to dissolve more of the media that settle around the tank system.
The ph fluctuates from 7.9 to 8.1 the past few days. Should I put my co2 scrubber back on to try to help everything to go back to normal? Thank you!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ph fluctuates from 7.9 to 8.1 the past few days. Should I put my co2 scrubber back on to try to help everything to go back to normal? Thank you!

If there is media dissolving, then it's better (IMO) to get through dissolving it than to try to keep it undissolved.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back