Help - Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse

Joel B in FL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what is going on or even if it normally happens but I came home from work today and my Solon fairy wrasse has lost probably 80% of its color. It's mostly on the lower to middle body on both sides of the fish. He is not showing any signs of weird or unusual behavior, he is eating like nor,al, swimming around like normal. He still has the blue strip in the very bottom of his belly, directly behind his head and most of the strip along his back but it's like his sides are just turning white. All of this came along suddenly as last night he looked fine. Is this a normal part of the wrasse maturing process or is something wrong? I do not have a very good camera but I will try to get a good pic and post.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had him? No heavy breathing?

OP
OP
Joel B in FL

Joel B in FL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had him about five months or so. I haven't seen any heavy breathing, swimming into the current or anything that would suggest he is sick.

Yea I rotate between LRS, PE Mysis with PE Calanus, and Hikari freeze dried brine & plankton. I soak my food in a one of three items, Selcon, aquaforest fish vitamins, and aquaforest garlic.

If it was a mood swing I wonder what could have set him off. I have seen any weird signs or symptoms from anything. I haven't added any new fish in about two months so I wouldn't think it would be another fish aggregating him all of a sudden.

OP
OP
Joel B in FL

Joel B in FL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have several other wrasses in the tank and none of them are showing any signs of color loss.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they'd change colors depending on their moods. Mine did this too.

+1 Wrasses can be real tricky to diagnosis because of their color/mood swings. ;) I would wait for one of the wrasse experts to chime in before taking any action.

OP
OP
Joel B in FL

Joel B in FL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears it might have been a mood swing as all of his color has returned. I appreciate everyone chiming in. I never knew fish could change color that quickly. It is kinda cool to know they can do it but it was scary to see it happen for the first time.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without having seen the color, an accurate diagnosis would be difficult. With flasher and fairy wrasses color can change dramatically during displays. But thy can also drastically change colors if they are showing submission to a mre dominant wrasse.

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joel B in FL Did he look similar to this?

my red-head just turned almost all white. he was normal 15 minutes prior to taking this photo and posting here. it isn't often I see him lose the color.. and I am aways wondering why he does this. Nothing's changed in the tank to cause him to change color like this.

@eatbreakfast @melypr1985 @Humblefish
Any ideas why?

WhiteSolon.jpg

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being bullied fighting somesort of parasite can cause that paling.

^^This; very difficult to diagnose a wrasse without seeing visible physical symptoms (ex. white spots) of a disease. For this reason, I always prophylactically treat them for ich, velvet & flukes upon arrival.

OP
OP
Joel B in FL

Joel B in FL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joel B in FL Did he look similar to this?

my red-head just turned almost all white. he was normal 15 minutes prior to taking this photo and posting here. it isn't often I see him lose the color.. and I am aways wondering why he does this. Nothing's changed in the tank to cause him to change color like this.

@eatbreakfast @melypr1985 @Humblefish
Any ideas why?

WhiteSolon.jpg

That is exactly what mine looked like. After about an hour or so he was back to normal.

OP
OP
Joel B in FL

Joel B in FL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am beginning he was bullied. I have noticed that my two clowns have been getting a lot more territorial since they started hosting the anemone in my tank so I am thinking maybe they bullied him a little right before I got home.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am beginning he was bullied. I have noticed that my two clowns have been getting a lot more territorial since they started hosting the anemone in my tank so I am thinking maybe they bullied him a little right before I got home.
Sounds quite likely.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back