Help red sea desktop overflow not working right

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just setup a red sea desktop peninsula however it appears that the overflow drain is not working correctly. It seems to be... Well... Overflowing. It is meant to drain into a little hole in the far right of the plastic overflow grating peice but just fills up too fast and overflows into the rear chamber bypassing the filter sock and making a load of noise. I have attached a video. I am using red seas 950lph pump designed for this tank but seems like its too powerful?

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue still persists when that filter floss over the filter sock is removed. I have also now fitted a conrollable pump and have verified that even at lower flow this issue remains.

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard about a 3d printed baffle for the weir that fixes this trickling and overflowing issue... It was meant for the max nano but i believe the weir design is identical.

However i do not understand how this can be the the case. Why does it trickle like this, bypassing the flitersock by design? Youre telling me that someone had to come up with a 3d printed model in order to fix an issue in red sea's design?

FishN00b83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question, but is your tank completely level? If it's leaning towards the side your videoing from it could be preventing the water from draining the correct way. The water seems to be overflowing much harder on the closer side.

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question, but is your tank completely level? If it's leaning towards the side your videoing from it could be preventing the water from draining the correct way. The water seems to be overflowing much harder on the closer side.
actually not completely level. The leveling shims are sitting next to the tank and need to be installed. But ive... Pushed... The tank to make it level and the water still trickles but not as hard. Tomorrow the leveling shims will be installed so I'll see if that fixes the issue. I think it'll help but i dont think it'll fix it entirely

FishN00b83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d push it until it flows the right way and see how far off it is. Im not familiar with that tank but also check to see if that box in the back can be adjusted. That looks like a level/setup issue.

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pump could be turned up too high?
At first that is what i thought it was, but i was using the red sea pump designed for that tank at 950lph. Long story short I changed that pump for a controllable one i had laying about which goes up to 1000lph and down to like 300 or something and even on the lowest setting it still flows too fast for the overflow to handle.....

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d push it until it flows the right way and see how far off it is. Im not familiar with that tank but also check to see if that box in the back can be adjusted. That looks like a level/setup issue.
I tried taking the water level down but it doesn't make a difference. You also cannot adjust the height of the weir inlet either

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is completely level now and it actually just made it overflow faster.

Tried taking water level down.
Tried reducing pump flow ALOT.

Neither even helps.

3d printed the insert on thingiverse to fix the design fault. Fixed immediately.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I note that on Red Sea's website they show the optional protein skimmer in the place where you are over flowing. Perhaps they designed it to only work properly with additional, optional parts!! $$$$

rubb221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes unfortunately th
Ive heard about a 3d printed baffle for the weir that fixes this trickling and overflowing issue... It was meant for the max nano but i believe the weir design is identical.

However i do not understand how this can be the the case. Why does it trickle like this, bypassing the flitersock by design? Youre telling me that someone had to come up with a 3d printed model in order to fix an issue in red sea's design?
Is tank has loads of flaws as I found out when I brought the stock skimmer red sea's led 50 light an bracket to attach it an there rubbish ATO resivor basically none of this fits in together so I stop using the ato an brought a better version from auto aqua the light now fit but it's not perfect as I have to have over more to the right then angle it back to the centre red sea messed up here .I currently in the process of receiving the 3d printed weir upgrade as the water is over flowing into the chamber to right I started regretting buying the tank as the max nano peninsula would have been the best option..

BBS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is completely level now and it actually just made it overflow faster.

Tried taking water level down.
Tried reducing pump flow ALOT.

Neither even helps.

3d printed the insert on thingiverse to fix the design fault. Fixed immediately.
I have the same issue! Tank is level and it doesn’t fix the problem. I can’t seem to find the 3D design you are referring to. Could you possibly post the link?

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this fix the issue? I'm hunting for someone that redesigned this for higher flow. Would like 3-4x turnover instead of 2.
I would however add that im not sure if you can run that high turnover on this tank, because the overflow (even with the 3d print that extends it higher), is very restrictive. You would most likely need to remove the small part in the corner of the weir that the water is meant to flow into. This would allow the water to flow into the filter sock mount more unrestricted.

The water level in the display will rise if there is too much restriction on the higher turnover rate due to the design of the rear sump and overflow.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back