Help - Setting up Gyre pumps in a reef tank

Luke023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

I have a Redsea 625xxl mixed reef tank. Trying to better understand flow in thr aquarium. Currently I run a decent return pump with a random flow nozzle, meaning my flow is reliant on the two Maxspect gyre pumps on either end of the tank.

Looking for advice on what settings, position in the tank (height, back wall or sides) and what angle to run them at.

The goal is to provide a swaying motion and sufficient flow for coral growth.

Please put your input and opinions below and an image of your tank so I can see how you use your gyres.

Thanks in advance

20200728_203129.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off that is a really pretty tank!

As for the placement, I can not say what would be best since I would have to sit there and try it out but I can give some recommondations. The ideal setup in my opinion would be on the sides like you have it, and rotating the pumps from one to another. I would think it would be best to allow a full sweep of water in one direction and then switching pumps to have the opposite end to the same thing.

PS becareful of that bubble tip in the top right near the gyre.

OP
OP
Luke023

Luke023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad he never followed up and let us know what worked for him.
Ended up playing with multiple variations due to the low responses here. Left side is 1/4 up with the outlet angled towards the surface. Right side is 1/2 way down and is angled towards surface. Both ramp up and down randomly to 100+ and 100-. Seems to be working okay

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up playing with multiple variations due to the low responses here. Left side is 1/4 up with the outlet angled towards the surface. Right side is 1/2 way down and is angled towards surface. Both ramp up and down randomly to 100+ and 100-. Seems to be working okay
Thanks! I have the same tank. I appreciate this.

cloggins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, @Luke023 , are you still using the gyres? How do you have them set?

I too have a 625xxl with 2 gyres. I keep trying different types of flow. Nothing seems really great. The best I've settled on has been alternating gyres at about 70-80%, ramp up 30s, run 30s, ramp down 30s. Mine are set at opposite ends of the tank, near the top, flow towards the center.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back