Help solve murder mystery

accidental_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefers, this morning I woke up to the remaining skin/flesh of my tort floating away. It’s now all bone, (See attached pic of the deceased and the surrounding suspects.).

The chalice and bowerbankai are the two main culprits. The only thing that appeared to have changed is that the tort had been eight squares away from the bowerbankai but last night I moved both the chalice and bowerbankai to the right — to take picture of the suspected Aiptasia covered in my other post — so that there were only three squares between them. Around 1am last night, I saw a bunch white strings covering the bowerbankai but I figured they were perhaps spaghetti worms; in the last hour or so, I spot fed the bowerbankai and others and also generously broadcast reefroids and some phyto so there was a lot of activity in the tank. The white strings (pic attached) spilled over the immediate proximity of the bowerbankai but didn’t appear to be going for any of the nearby coral (the protruding head of an alveopora was only one square away). The bowerbankai has always had neighbors without issue, some closer in proximity than the three squares separating the two.

The chalice moved to the right along with the tort but maintained the same distance (two squares). Also, I have never seen long tentacles coming out from this chalice. At most, I’ve seen little nubbings protruding from the top. Also, the direction of the little activity that has occurred has been towards the other direction — the frag tank is right next to my desk and i work from home so I see the details. As usual, I couldn’t coax any feeding activity from the chalice that I could see. I was working till at least 2am last night and noticed nothing out of ordinary.

Parameters/salinity are stable. I tested phosphate and alkalinity 2/3 days prior and did small midweek water change.

What happened during the 7 or so hours?

IMG_1319.jpeg FullSizeRender.jpeg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I vote chalice

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back