Help! Sps white scratches around polyp rim?

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

So I woke up today and saw that one of my frag looked like this, the rim of the corals are turning white, no where else at all just the rim near the top. Im guessing that its too much light but he's been in the same spot for close to a month now, and polyp extending great and all that.

Ive been having quite a bit of issue with this frag since I got it around a month ago too, 3 days after it was introduce, what I assume is RTN killed off two of the branches over night, flesh flaking off and all that, so I put him in a cocktail of medicine, cipro, kanamycin, and metronidazole for a week. He recovered (or it seemed like he recovered) and he has been in the same spot ever since. But now out of no where weird white spots. Is this the RTN back with a vengeance????

Anyone dealt with this kind of thing b4?

Param:
Alk: 8.3
Cal: 420
Nitrate: 2-5ppm
Phosphate: unknown (test kit ran out, coming in a week)

IMG_4345.jpg IMG_4346.jpg

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure the white spots are areas of skeleton showing through. Not a good sign. Maybe consider a quick KCl dip and look to see if any parasites fall off.

Just as a note, when I treat an RTN-ing frag with antibiotics, I generally let it soak for 30-90 minutes. The bacteria being treated are either on the surface of the coral or under a paper thin layer of coral tissue, so the antibiotics get there pretty quickly. One week in antibiotics is pretty long for a coral.

eraser2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Pretty sure the white spots are areas of skeleton showing through. Not a good sign. Maybe consider a quick KCl dip and look to see if any parasites fall off.

Just as a note, when I treat an RTN-ing frag with antibiotics, I generally let it soak for 30-90 minutes. The bacteria being treated are either on the surface of the coral or under a paper thin layer of coral tissue, so the antibiotics get there pretty quickly. One week in antibiotics is pretty long for a coral.
Question
Which antibiotics do you use?

OP
OP
Kerbash

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Same what antibiotics you use?

Also how many time do you repeat the 30 - 90 minutes? I have always thought that antibiotics dont really kill bacteria like a poison but stop them from growing or something like that. That’s why Ive always leave them in for a long while. If the 30 - 90 minutes work that’s actually really good news because I’m always so nervous of the antibiotics poisoning the coral lol.

thanks!

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, amoxicillin (broad spectrum antibacterial), metronidazole (flagellates), and doxycycline (Rickettsials). Occasionally, I will add erythromycin which had a dual effect against Cyanobacteria and certain gram negatives.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 95 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back