Help stocking 150g

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I recently cycled and started stocking my 150G. It currently has 2 clowns, 1 Midas Blenny and 1 snowflake eel. The eel was a impulse buy because that was going to be my last addition but my LFS has a healthy baby for a great price. I need a good sand sifter because my snails stay on the rocks and my sands is breaking out in diatoms everywhere. A mandarin would be cool but I only introduced pods last week and there wont be a ton to eat. I want to add tangs in the future but thats going to be a little later down the line. That being said anyone have any suggestions?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassarius snails are good for the sandbed. I wouldn’t add a mandarin to a new tank. They need lots of copepods to eat and can easily starve in a tank that’s not established. I don’t know about the eel. I’d go to a site like liveaquaria.com and check out compatibility before you buy anything else. Their site shows recommended tank size, aggression levels, and a compatibility chart to see if the fish you want will get along. Good luck!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might also take a look at a fighting conch or tiger sand conch, both of which ought to help with algae on or near the sandbed. Nassarius will help turn your sand, but will track down uneaten food, and ignore algae. Very helpful to have around, for what they do.

I'd wait on that mandarin - maybe reevaluate in eight months or a year?

~Bruce

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond and bullet gobies are excellent sand sifters. I would probably avoid inverts as cuc with a snowflake eel, as they prefer to eat inverts.

Flame or longnose hawks are colorful and hardy. Melanurus or yellow coris wrasses are bright and active.

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went ahead with a diamond goby and a couple of conchs yesterday. Acclimated last night and they immediately went to cleaning. Made an order to Algaebarn but i'm going to wait 4-5 months for a mandarin to let the pods populate

Back