HELP! Stray Voltage?

CoryC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to add a couple frags today and noticed a tingling on a cut that i have. So clearly i have some stray voltage. I have a grounding probe so i'm not sure how that's possible. Does plugging it into a GFCI adapter negate what the ground plug is doing? also it seemed like when i cut anything electrical on in my sump i still felt the tingling. Two pumps, skimmer, heater. Has all this equipment gone bad? When i cut the pumps and stuff off i still feel this tingling sensation on a cut that makes me jerk my hand out of the water. I have ecotech vortech pumps and those and my light are all that is on, so how is this possible? Is there a way to more accurately test this?

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to test it with a multi-meter. Use the ground of an outlet or power strip for the black lead and place the positive red lead in the tank or sump. Then measure the AC voltage. Unplug ALL equipment and verify it goes to 0. Then power on one piece at a time to see which item is leaking the voltage. This is easiest when you can turn on a single piece of equipment to remove any interference between two pieces of hardware.

OP
OP
C

CoryC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i finally found it. i just used an ac meter that lights up. everything was off but i was still getting voltage. i unplugged the skimmer and the light quit beeping so i think that was it. luckily i just bought a new SRO skimmer. COuld it be my controller? turning off but still sending voltage?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back