Help tank crash and now I have a ton of bristle worms!

bythepowerofzeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just returned home from a 2 month work trip to find my 40 gallon salt tank with 95% of the fish dead and bristle worms every where. I am pretty should my parents over fed the tank while I was gone, but the main problem is the bristle worms, there are so many of them. What should I do should I take time to slowly remove them til I get their number to a reasonable size of should I just redo the entire tank?

IMG_1527.jpeg IMG_1529.jpeg IMG_1528.jpeg

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just returned home from a 2 month work trip to find my 40 gallon salt tank with 95% of the fish dead and bristle worms every where. I am pretty should my parents over fed the tank while I was gone, but the main problem is the bristle worms, there are so many of them. What should I do should I take time to slowly remove them til I get their number to a reasonable size of should I just redo the entire tank?

Awesome,
That's looks like right out of the horrorfilm slither. I think you should call Hans.
fb4.jpg

Last edited:

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is insane. They must have been feeding a ton.

What about-stop all feeding (you said fish are dead), and try baiting a large bristle worm trap? It would take a while to thin them out but might still be faster than a restart.

Or-wear heavy gloves, take rocks out and dip in a bucket (using a coral dip)? You might be able to get most of the bristle worms to crawl out of the rock and fall in the bucket without completely resetting.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a serious note though:
The worms seem to be just one of the issues so in my opinion don't even bother with traps. Restart is the easiest solution because your animals are dead anyway right? If you want to keep the rocks you can try a peroxide bath.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You're going to probably want a Bristleworm trap. Killing those worms can potentially cause a nasty ammonia spike that'll kill the last 2 fish. Bristleworm trap, empty, reset, over and over.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Thats an army. Green Bird wrasse will eat them, but they get big
Good option is a couple of arrow crabs which eat them like candy but not quickly

Arrow:
1699503695734.png
1699503726018.png

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the bristleworms population will adjust itself based off the amount of food available. Give it a month they will be hard to find. If you kill them off quickly itwill create other issues they are actually many benefits to having them in your tank

DJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is totally insane, how so many must have been some serious over feeding going on in that tank

I would prolly agree with the above take time the herd will thin out if you got your feeding under control and a predator or 2 may assist with that one (arrow crab)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back