Help. Tank is dying

zeevelji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is dying and I don't know why :(

Last night all my inverts were dead. This morning I found 3 fish dead.

The values of my tank:
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10ppm
Saline 1.025
Calc 490
Magnisium 1297
Alkalinity 12
Temp 78

I thought my testers were wrong so I took my water to my LSF and they said the same.

I've done a 30% water change.
Any ideas? Most of the fish are hiding. My clown is on the verge of death. Most of the corals are open but they haven't fully extended.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your fish and tank mates. I'm not an expert, but your numbers look fine. I'm doubtful that your ammonia is at zero with all the livestock dying, but you said your LFS confirmed this.

When was this tank started? Did you use live rock and sand, or dry rock and sand?

What are you using for water? Tap water, RODI water, buying water from the LSF?

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have an electrical meter? Check the tank for a voltage by placing the red in the water and the black inside the the ground hole of an outlet. That is the only thing that I can think of that would wipe out Inverts and fish. I've had all my fish wiped out by velvet within 24 hours and have had all my fish but one wiped out in 4 hours due to a blue hippo going nuts. In both cases, all Inverts and corals were fine.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an electrical meter? Check the tank for a voltage by placing the red in the water and the black inside the the ground hole of an outlet. That is the only thing that I can think of that would wipe out Inverts and fish. I've had all my fish wiped out by velvet within 24 hours and have had all my fish but one wiped out in 4 hours due to a blue hippo going nuts. In both cases, all Inverts and corals were fine.
I was thinking something like this, a broken heater or something and stray voltage in the water.

Or did you use any kind of cleaner or anything near the tank?

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would unplug everything immediately and go out and buy a meter if I was you. Once you aquire Meter, plug everything in and test. If you have voltage, unplug everything ans plug in one at a time. If you need help with this, text me 317-5two6-628l. I'll be up for a few hours. Walmart has them.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Established tank? New tank?

There is not much that can kill that variety of things that quickly. High temp can do it. Salinity that is WAY off can do it. Maybe a strong oxidizer or medication?

I would think that you could feel the stray current on your hand if it was that. I have been zapped pretty good a few times and inverts and fish were not dying.

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a big bag of carbon in case it’s chemical too. Any cleaners, painting or renovations in the building?

OP
OP
Z

zeevelji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do to your tank before this happened ? Maintenance, dosing, anything ?

Do another WC tomorrow.
I did a water change with lower salt. I noticed my saline was high, 1.028 so I reduced it to 1.026.

OP
OP
Z

zeevelji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your fish and tank mates. I'm not an expert, but your numbers look fine. I'm doubtful that your ammonia is at zero with all the livestock dying, but you said your LFS confirmed this.

When was this tank started? Did you use live rock and sand, or dry rock and sand?

What are you using for water? Tap water, RODI water, buying water from the LSF?
Tank has been running for about 6months. City has really good tap water so I've used it since I started. Had live rock and sand.

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like something toxic to the fish contaminated the tank.

Open window nearby ?

Heater hasn't exploded ?

Anything dripping from the tank lights ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back