Help! Tank wont recycle

Lkemja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help! I had to start from scratch with my tank when my seahorses were being treated for bacteria.
Nitrate 80
Nitrite 10
Ph 7.5
Kh 180

I was told to do water changes then I said no not to do water changes or it will never finish recycling.
I was told to hold off water changes, cut back on feeding and apply stability from seachem. I was told to put primer then I was told not to put primer cause it won't help. Its just a conditioner. Im so confused! I've been doing the stability everyday since fri.
HELP!
my dwarf seahorses are tweeking out. Lost 1. I still have my erectus and 4 dwarfs left

Thank you

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help! I had to start from scratch with my tank when my seahorses were being treated for bacteria.
Nitrate 80
Nitrite 10
Ph 7.5
Kh 180

I was told to do water changes then I said no not to do water changes or it will never finish recycling.
I was told to hold off water changes, cut back on feeding and apply stability from seachem. I was told to put primer then I was told not to put primer cause it won't help. Its just a conditioner. Im so confused! I've been doing the stability everyday since fri.
HELP!
my dwarf seahorses are tweeking out. Lost 1. I still have my erectus and 4 dwarfs left

Thank you

I believe glass is recyclable.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. The test strips I have are easy 5 in 1
You need to get the real vial ammonia tests. You can get more accurate readings by drinking your tank water compared to the strips.

For the fishes sake, how old is the tank? How long have you been cycling it? How big is it and how many fish are currently in there?

Last edited:

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime does help but is only a bandaid that detoxifies ammonia. Get a real test kit to verify ammonia reading (before prime if possible). If it is ammonia then drop an airstone in or aim powerheads to the surface to help in gas exchange.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime does help but is only a bandaid that detoxifies ammonia. Get a real test kit to verify ammonia reading (before prime if possible). If it is ammonia then drop an airstone in or aim powerheads to the surface to help in gas exchange.

Secondly, buy a bottle of bacteria asap and do a substantial water change.

If there is ammonia, please take the time to read through the many guides available on this site. Fish are living things and feel all of the pain by being stuck in a toxic tank.

OP
OP
Lkemja

Lkemja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to get the real vial ammonia tests. You can get more accurate readings by drinking your tank water compared to the strips.

For the fishes sake, how old is the tank? How long have you been cycling it? How big is it and how many fish are currently in there?
Tank is 4m old. 15g. That bacteria really screwed everything up. I have 1 small erectus and 4 dwarfs, 2 little crabs
Been cycling 3w now i believe
Ok ill have to pirchase the sticks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Before relying on test strip results, take a water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test water for you to verify the results you are getting.
Chemipure elite to lower those levels for you and keep the water polished.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 4m old. 15g. That bacteria really screwed everything up. I have 1 small erectus and 4 dwarfs, 2 little crabs
Been cycling 3w now i believe
Ok ill have to pirchase the sticks
Are you referring to a bacterial bloom (bad bacteria)? Or nitrifying bacteria?

OP
OP
Lkemja

Lkemja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Secondly, buy a bottle of bacteria asap and do a substantial water change.

If there is ammonia, please take the time to read through the many guides available on this site. Fish are living things and feel all of the pain by being stuck in a toxic tank.
I'm dedicated to my seahorses. I spent 10 days treating them doing water changes,disefecting the tank. Etc. I kmow they are hurting Nd I don't want to loose anymore. This morning I found 2 of my dwarfs.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 15G tank is so dificult to keep.
One drop of something can do harm.

Do you have any prior expieriance with salt water tanks?
Seahorses require expert level care.
Dont want to be mean or rude here but maybe you should return them and start with a bigger tank thats much more stable with hardier fish if you just starting out.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dedicated to my seahorses. I spent 10 days treating them doing water changes,disefecting the tank. Etc. I kmow they are hurting Nd I don't want to loose anymore. This morning I found 2 of my dwarfs.

You need to do a large water change and potentially return the seahorses until the tank is done cycling.

Also, get the bacteria, ammonia test kit, and chemi pure blue as vette suggested. The first priority is to get the ammonia down as fast as possible.

It sounds like they may have disease. I’d try and get pictures for others in the fish thread to identify what’s going on so you can properly treat.

OP
OP
Lkemja

Lkemja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have fish. Just the dwarfs and a small erectus and 2 crabs.i just treated them

OP
OP
Lkemja

Lkemja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 15G tank is so dificult to keep.
One drop of something can do harm.

Do you have any prior expieriance with salt water tanks?
Seahorses require expert level care.
Dont want to be mean or rude here but maybe you should return them and start with a bigger tank thats much more stable with hardier fish if you just starting out.
We have exp with fresh. Not salt. I was doing really good. Had 2 sets of fry until I got that 1 seahorse that contaminated my whole tank. Yes I'm new to this and learned my lesson not treating before putting in tank but geez I dont remember tank cycling this long. But when I did cycle it,I only had the crabs

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once your tank is cycled its cycled.
The bacteria is there and will do its job.
I feel something else is going on.
I have to get to work but you need to test across the board all the paramiters. With reliable test kits.
Strips are just not good enough.

With a 15G tank it is very dificult to keep everything stable.
Also a picture of the compleat setup could reveal something.

OP
OP
Lkemja

Lkemja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didn't finish cycling when I put them in after treatment. They had to go in cause the treatment tank was small and filteration was bad

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend using a larger tank and hardy fish to begin your saltwater adventure. Seahorses need such specific care that any tiny fluctuations in parameters can have this exact effect. I'm very sorry for your losses.

OP
OP
Lkemja

Lkemja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing great until I got that 1 seahorse that contaminated my whole tank. I had fry 2x and the seahorse wiped them all out. My mistake for not tratimg it 1st. Learning exp. But before that, they were thriving and happy

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back