• Neither

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with holiday sales right now, I could get either similar in discounted cost. Was thinking start out right instead of upgrading later, tank is 36” long, 24” deep.

Are the lights really worthwhile and which would you choose?

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposedly the AP9x has the wider angle lenses that would suit the width of your tank.

But you could always get the two 360s and add a third 360 later on. That’s what I vote.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have more position flexibility with 2 separate kessil a360x but the lens (oval) orientation of the ap9x are generally better for that type of tank dimension.

Some additional benefits of the ap9x would be that you only have to deal with 1 mounting arm, 1 power supply that is actually way better than the 360x (meanwell), it has no need of a wifi dongle/spectral controller, and it's cheaper to buy 1 + a mounting arm than 2 + 2 arms + 1 controller + k link cable.

Can't speak par comparison though if you're talking about the newer 360XE since I haven't purchased one (yet) and did the numbers yet though but ignoring the that I would pick the ap9x easily.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have more position flexibility with 2 separate kessil a360x but the lens (oval) orientation of the ap9x are generally better for that type of tank dimension.

Some additional benefits of the ap9x would be that you only have to deal with 1 mounting arm, 1 power supply that is actually way better than the 360x (meanwell), it has no need of a wifi dongle/spectral controller, and it's cheaper to buy 1 + a mounting arm than 2 + 2 arms + 1 controller + k link cable.

Can't speak par comparison though if you're talking about the newer 360XE since I haven't purchased one (yet) and did the numbers yet though but ignoring the that I would pick the ap9x easily.
You pretty much hit all of the pros. I’m just curious if it’ll end up shadowing more — but they’re kind of the same. Even though the two would be cheaper all the accessories like you pointed out tips the scales up for sure.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shadowing shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as you keep any sps within the overlapping light areas of the ap9x (something you would need to do with 2 360x either way but end up with more light spilling front and back due to the lens orientation).
Any lps, nem, or softie won't care too much about potential shadowing

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shadowing shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as you keep any sps within the overlapping light areas of the ap9x (something you would need to do with 2 360x either way but end up with more light spilling front and back due to the lens orientation).
Any lps, nem, or softie won't care too much about potential shadowing
I think I may take your word for it, I keep researching but not deciding. Part of me wants to do a cheaper light until later but then it feels like I’m just wasting that money knowing I’d likely upgrade

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.0%
Back