HELP Vibrant for reef aquariums

XandryaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone had a problem with vibrant for reef aquariums? my dad and i just tried it and immediately the fish started to show signs of stress and get VERY sick. we put them in another small tank but i dont think most of them will make it.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much did you dose and how big is your tank? I use it regularly in one of my tanks and have never had any issues. I also know people who have overdosed it when having bad algae outbreaks.

wrasse man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero issues here except nuisance algae disappearing. Ive been having to up the seaweed for the grazers and cuc.

OP
OP
X

XandryaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much did you dose and how big is your tank? I use it regularly in one of my tanks and have never had any issues. I also know people who have overdosed it when having bad algae outbreaks.
its an 80 gallon tank, my dad used 8ml of vibrant

OP
OP
X

XandryaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dad put them all in a small quarentean tank running an extra air stone. 3 fish still breathing heavily, the other 7 fish are all dead.

OP
OP
X

XandryaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it caused a major ammonia spike in the tank. ammonia reached between 0.50ppm and 1.0ppm

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people (many people) have had success with vibrant. Then you have those like me who have not. I didn't lose any fish but I did lose an entire tank of corals, including over a dozen acro colonies.

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it a few times and had to skim really wet, run new carbon constantly, and replace the filter socks daily.

Seems to kill off a lot of stuff, for me anyway.

U

User1

View Badges
Double check the dose. I would be surprised, and first time I've heard, that 8 ml of Vibrant caused this.

I was going to ask what else was done but let me rephrase. Was anything else done at the same time of the dose?

I've used Vibrant in my 210 gallon and it caused no issues with corals, fish, or anything else other than clearing the problem. First time it worked in less than 24 hours. I didn't export the new nutrients from the die off so it lead to another algae bloom which was worse than before. Went through another round but this time paying attention to the die off of algae and it was flawless this go around.

Important to keep your skimmer running during the dosing. But to be sure I'd double check the actual dose.

OP
OP
X

XandryaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double check the dose. I would be surprised, and first time I've heard, that 8 ml of Vibrant caused this.

I was going to ask what else was done but let me rephrase. Was anything else done at the same time of the dose?

I've used Vibrant in my 210 gallon and it caused no issues with corals, fish, or anything else other than clearing the problem. First time it worked in less than 24 hours. I didn't export the new nutrients from the die off so it lead to another algae bloom which was worse than before. Went through another round but this time paying attention to the die off of algae and it was flawless this go around.

Important to keep your skimmer running during the dosing. But to be sure I'd double check the actual dose.
the measuring cup used only holds 10ml, so even if we did measure wrong it couldnt have been more than 10ml.
and we didnt dose anything else today, but yesterday my dad did the regular calcium and alkalinity.
the skimmer has been running like mad since we dossed it.

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi There, someone just messaged me about your thread. Sorry to hear of your troubles :( The measuring cups that come with the bottles hold 30ml of solutions. Can you tell me how much was actually dosed and what algae's you have within the tank. Maybe a photo would help as well :)

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. I am using vibrant and it's haveing great success everything looks great. First week all algea was GONE now I'm working on turf algea . Again sorry and I hope it goes well for you.

OP
OP
X

XandryaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi There, someone just messaged me about your thread. Sorry to hear of your troubles :( The measuring cups that come with the bottles hold 30ml of solutions. Can you tell me how much was actually dosed and what algae's you have within the tank. Maybe a photo would help as well :)
ive added some pictures of the tank before that show some of the algae. ive also added a before and after of our monti coral. and two pictures of what the tank currently looks like.

we dosed 8ml to an 80 gallon tank.
we have hair algae, coarser turf algae, and a fluffy/stringy brown algae i dont know the name of was on some rocks and sand. we changed the activated carbon and phosguard a week ago

20191201_163006.jpg 20191201_194438.jpg 20191201_163015.jpg 20191109_121652.jpg 20191109_121035.jpg 20191109_121312.jpg

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thanks for the pics :) We have had a few handfuls of people read the directions wrong by dosing 1ml per gallon instead of per 10 gallons with no issues, so believe this is not a overdose thing. The only time we have run into something like this, is when there are toxic dinos or toxins held within the algae's. This is super rare, but I can only assume there was some form of toxins held within the algae your tank had. The only other thing I can think of, would be low oxygen levels, which generally wouldn't happen so quickly. What do you run for filtrations on your tank?

OP
OP
X

XandryaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thanks for the pics :) We have had a few handfuls of people read the directions wrong by dosing 1ml per gallon instead of per 10 gallons with no issues, so believe this is not a overdose thing. The only time we have run into something like this, is when there are toxic dinos or toxins held within the algae's. This is super rare, but I can only assume there was some form of toxins held within the algae your tank had. The only other thing I can think of, would be low oxygen levels, which generally wouldn't happen so quickly. What do you run for filtrations on your tank?
a quick ammonia test after we got the fish out of the tank showed a major ammonia spike in the tank. ammonia reached between 0.50ppm and 1.0ppm

for filtration we run a 20 gallon long tank as a sump, a week ago my dad put in half a cup of phosguard a cup of carbon, we have chaeto and rock rubble in the refugium chamber, a small skimmer, and two return pumps, with two power heads in the tank.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back