HELP Vibrant for reef aquariums

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry to hear about your losses!! I saw this thread because I'm using Vibrant right now for a hair algae problem, with no issues so far. I will certainly keep a good eye on everything!

Forshurley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Makes me sad to hear your fish passed away, looks like you had some beautiful fish.

I just finished my first bottle in my 120g tank. I dosed 20ml every two weeks and took months to finish bottle and had good results getting rid of bubble algae. I plan on continuing to dose to keep nuisance algae at bay.

I think you should continue to dose vibrant tell your tank cleans up and then start to re introduce fish, dont give up!

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of the losses. I believe that the issue was somehow caused by the Vibrant being added, but doubt the ammonia is the cause. I like others have seen things survive 1 PPM ammonia near startup, and certainly for more than hours. I suspect the ammonia is a secondary effect of whatever started the dieoff.
This reminds me of the sort of cascading death that I've seen when palytoxin hits a tank, then everything starts to slime, then the palys get even more unhappy and things start to die. What other toxic organisms could do this?

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have to jump on the band wagon that Vibrant didn’t cause the issue. I dose Vibrant daily because I chase that crystal clear water look. I don’t even measure how much I’m dosing. I literally just give the bottle a light squeeze and what ever amount shoots out seems to be working. Zero deaths, zero corals affected, zero bacterial blooms. Your issue was definitely something else and it just so happened to have reached its peak when you dosed Vibrant.

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see this thread? Somebody else recently had a similar incident.

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see this thread? Somebody else recently had a similar incident.

I thought it was the same tank.

SamAPFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard of vibrant killing fish that quickly! If you haven’t figured out the cause, what if the bottle was accidentally sent concentrated? This probably isn’t it but try smelling the bottle because it shouldn’t smell

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what caused the fish to die was an rapid and extreme ammonia spike, after we pulled the fish out we tested the water and the ammonia level was roughly 0.5ppm-1.0ppm
so it technically wasnt an "oxygen" issue per-say.
UWC said the only time theyve run into something like this is when there are toxic dinos or toxins held within the algae, and that our tank probably also had toxins within the algae's.
but im still confused about what caused the ammonia to spike like that.
Sorry for your losses.

Was the product you used expired, exposed to extreme heat, or possibly not Vibrant? Nothing else I can think of would explain the ammonia spike.

pygoplites77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But does the vibrator have an expiration date? On my bottle it is not there ... I believe it will not expire. Does anyone know anything about it?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back