Help w stock list please

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As my DT goes fallow for 76 days, I’m researching which fish to get. I have a 55 gallon and am open to changes/suggestions.
Will add corals so must be reef safe (I know the coral beauty is a gamble but it’s a bit late for that lol)

Clearly, I can’t get all the below fish for lack of space. Which would you cut out and why? Replace anything? Add?

Coral Beaty - already have
Yellowtail Damsel - already have
Yellow Watchman Goby - already have
Basslet - Royal Gramma - really don’t want to cut this guy out. One of my favourites
Cardinal - Red Stop Light
Chromis - Blue/Green Reef - I believe these do better in pairs or small groups which I don’t have space for. Cut?
Clown - Ocellaris (2)
Purple Firefish - May need to get cut
Golden Neon Goby - definitely want one if I ever find it one
Sixline Wrasse OR Yellow Coris Wrasse

also, according to my extensive research, the clowns tend to get territorial and should be added last. I did a pole on here about everyone’s 1st fish and TONS of ppl said it was a pair of clownfish? Sooo... add last or no? No rush. Want a nem settled in before I add them anyway.

I also have a pistol shrimp, 3 snails, 5 hermit crabs, and 1. Leaner shrimp :)

As always thx all. Happy reefing :)

Last edited:

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis - Blue/Green Reef - I believe these do better in pairs or small groups which I don’t have space for. Cut?
These tend to kill each other off, I had 5 & ended up with one after a yr. It disappeared later on so didn't get any more.

Sixline can get very mean & go after other fish the came size/body style. Had one yrs ago, maybe look at some other wrasse species, I have a Redhead Solon Fairy,Melanarus,Multicolored Lubbock's Fairy & a Orange-Back Fairy wrasse in my 185gl. They all get along except once in awhile the Redhead will chase the Orange-Back (same species) mostly at dinner time.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish might be a little timid for your list... have a few that are considered slightly-aggressive.
Clowns are territorial, but only to a very specific area of the tank usually... you might consider percula instead of the ocellaris. More likely to host pretty much any nem you like (including BTA's) and in my experience a little less "ornery chihuahua" when you put your hand in the tank lol. I've added clowns first, last, and anywhere in between and it didn't seem to really make a big difference... can be a little ornery towards newcomers, but it's not usually enough to cause real damage.
I'd also nix the sixline, can be real jerks to other fish... especially other wrasses or small wrasse-shaped fish. I agree a fairy wrasse would be nice, there's a few that would work in a 55g.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These tend to kill each other off, I had 5 & ended up with one after a yr. It disappeared later on so didn't get any more.

Sixline can get very mean & go after other fish the came size/body style. Had one yrs ago, maybe look at some other wrasse species, I have a Redhead Solon Fairy,Melanarus,Multicolored Lubbock's Fairy & a Orange-Back Fairy wrasse in my 185gl. They all get along except once in awhile the Redhead will chase the Orange-Back (same species) mostly at dinner time.

Thank you for your input. So,
blue/green chromis - cut
Wrasse - maybe yellow.
Thx!

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish might be a little timid for your list... have a few that are considered slightly-aggressive.
Clowns are territorial, but only to a very specific area of the tank usually... you might consider percula instead of the ocellaris. More likely to host pretty much any nem you like (including BTA's) and in my experience a little less "ornery chihuahua" when you put your hand in the tank lol. I've added clowns first, last, and anywhere in between and it didn't seem to really make a big difference... can be a little ornery towards newcomers, but it's not usually enough to cause real damage.
I'd also nix the sixline, can be real jerks to other fish... especially other wrasses or small wrasse-shaped fish. I agree a fairy wrasse would be nice, there's a few that would work in a 55g.

As always, your opinion is greatly valued. Thank you. I was afraid the firefish might not be a good fit. I will cut it from the list.
Clownfish advice - thank you :) I’ve red fairy wrasses do best in species only aquariums. Am I mistaken? Would a yellow wrasse be ok?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As always, your opinion is greatly valued. Thank you. I was afraid the firefish might not be a good fit. I will cut it from the list.
Clownfish advice - thank you :) I’ve red fairy wrasses do best in species only aquariums. Am I mistaken? Would a yellow wrasse be ok?
Yellow wrasse *might* get a little big for a 55... but they are one of the smaller/more docile halichoeres so I'd choose that one over others. Fairy wrasses can vary greatly based on complex, from very aggressive to very timid... There is a great chart posted by @evolved that rates the general temperament and appropriate tank-size for each.
Edit to add link:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow wrasse *might* get a little big for a 55... but they are one of the smaller/more docile halichoeres so I'd choose that one over others. Fairy wrasses can vary greatly based on complex, from very aggressive to very timid... There is a great chart posted by @evolved that rates the general temperament and appropriate tank-size for each.
Edit to add link:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/

Wow. What a detailed write up. Thx! I’ll look into it.
As far as the yellow wrasse...we’re planning to upgrade to a 100 gallon in the future but I’d hate to get the fish and then have plans fall through. Might be best to leave the wrasse spot open till after the upgrade. Lots of other fish to consider.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 60 35.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back