HELP WANTED - First Aquascape - AIO 35.2

Kavorka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All

I am starting my first ever saltwater tank. Got n Waterbox AIO 35.2. Based off online the display dimensions are about 23.6x19.7x17.7 (Length x Depth x Height)

Picked up 29lbs of rock today while waiting for tank to arrive.

I have a beginners tank guild thread up but not much luck in any replies so thought i would try here.

Embarrassed to say how long i spent stacking rocks. Top six are attached...Any help welcome.

Image.jpeg Image[1].jpeg Image[2].jpeg Image[3].jpeg Image[4].jpeg Image[5].jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like there’s going to be lots of hiding spots in the rocks, which allows for fish to hide. You need to allow for water currents through the caves or they will tend to gather detritus.
Especially if you are planning on putting sand in the tank?
Are you going to start a build thread so you have a log of your tank progress and growth?
I’m too lazy to do that myself but it’s another great way to spend time in the hobby and get reefers input on things as you go.

Field of Dreams 30 day movie challenge GIF

OP
OP
Kavorka

Kavorka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like there’s going to be lots of hiding spots in the rocks, which allows for fish to hide. You need to allow for water currents through the caves or they will tend to gather detritus.
Especially if you are planning on putting sand in the tank?
Are you going to start a build thread so you have a log of your tank progress and growth?
I’m too lazy to do that myself but it’s another great way to spend time in the hobby and get reefers input on things as you go.

Field of Dreams 30 day movie challenge GIF
KrifsReef

I have started a build thread ("Give'er - Kavorka's Waterbox AIO 35.2 Build") but unfortunately so far i have got zero responses theri. I have postd about my tank equipments list, proposed fish and CuC list, and these potential aquascape ideas but no luck on getting any responses yet. Ill keep at er.

Which of the above layouts do you think is best? How would I best allow for water through the caves? Should i try and smash some holes in the pieces so they are more like arches and not closed caves?

thanks

OP
OP
Kavorka

Kavorka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got tired of looking at the Aqua Forest rock (not enough shapes, all bottoms were flat, not alot of nooks and crannies) so mid cycle i switched it to a new setup using Caribsea lifrock. IMO much more dynamic now with 3 arches, 1 hole, and a rock island (soon to be home of my wifes ZOA garden lol).

Dosed some Fritz Turbo Start 900 to make up for a week of cycling the old rock with Dr Tims Nitryfying bacteria. Hopefully this helps not reset the cycle (plus w=there are marin pure ceramic balls in AIO chambers and AF Bio fill).

Think this is it but open to changes if you guys see a problem.

Let me know what you think:

Image (1).jpeg
Image (4).jpeg
Image (3).jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got tired of looking at the Aqua Forest rock (not enough shapes, all bottoms were flat, not alot of nooks and crannies) so mid cycle i switched it to a new setup using Caribsea lifrock. IMO much more dynamic now with 3 arches, 1 hole, and a rock island (soon to be home of my wifes ZOA garden lol).

Dosed some Fritz Turbo Start 900 to make up for a week of cycling the old rock with Dr Tims Nitryfying bacteria. Hopefully this helps not reset the cycle (plus w=there are marin pure ceramic balls in AIO chambers and AF Bio fill).

Think this is it but open to changes if you guys see a problem.

Let me know what you think:

Image (1).jpeg
Image (4).jpeg
Image (3).jpeg
I like the look of that design much better than any of your original aquascapes.

OP
OP
Kavorka

Kavorka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the look of that design much better than any of your original aquascapes.
thanks

i like it much better as well. Wasn't sure if i was being obsessive. Guess i will just use the other rock in a QT tank or later in a sump so i dont completely waste the money.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KrifsReef

I have started a build thread ("Give'er - Kavorka's Waterbox AIO 35.2 Build") but unfortunately so far i have got zero responses theri. I have postd about my tank equipments list, proposed fish and CuC list, and these potential aquascape ideas but no luck on getting any responses yet. Ill keep at er.

Which of the above layouts do you think is best? How would I best allow for water through the caves? Should i try and smash some holes in the pieces so they are more like arches and not closed caves?

thanks
Build threads might not get a lot of responses. They are more of a history of progress and a way to share it with the group. I create separate threads if I have questions or need advice.

I like the 4th picture of your aquascape. It looks like it is the most stable, has lots of landing spots for corals, and hiding spots for fish. Make sure you are leaving space between the rock and glass all the way around.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks

i like it much better as well. Wasn't sure if i was being obsessive. Guess i will just use the other rock in a QT tank or later in a sump so i dont completely waste the money.
Nope it’s better to be obsessive about your aquascape and make sure you like it since you will likely be staring at it for a long time. My 125g display has an aquascape that I don’t really like and at this point changing it would be a huge pain, so I’m just kinda stuck with it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back