Help!!! What’s wrong with my goby?!

Twalker791

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a pink spotted goby for about 2 weeks in my FOWLR tank with 2 clowns and snails. He seemed perfectly fine until today. Didn’t really come out at feeding time or even go for the bits that went right past his face. His mouth is open and he’s gasping- but neither of my clowns are. It appears his lips are injured or is it some sort of weird infection? Not sure what to do. First pic is him as normal- the second is today
BB1516BC-057B-48C7-B731-8BB17B194953.jpg
5F04DA69-FD71-424F-92C0-A8133387C676.jpeg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure who the disease/injury expert is, maybe @Jay Hemdal can chime in. I think you'll get better help posting in the disease section (I'm not saying it looks like a disease, that just seems like the best place)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second image sure seems to show an injury, the redness on the leading edge of the lips. However, the increased breathing rate is difficult to reconcile with that - why would that cause the fish to breath faster?

The two week timeline is a concern, diseases often show up in the first 30 days. That said, there isn't a specific disease that causes symptoms like this. My best guess is that since it was a new fish, it was startled, or tried to jump out and it injured its mouth. Then, perhaps a secondary bacterial infection has set in. Do you have a treatment tank available? If the fish isn't eating, you will need to go that route. If it is still eating, you could just "wait and see" if it will resolve on its own.

Jay

OP
OP
Twalker791

Twalker791

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second image sure seems to show an injury, the redness on the leading edge of the lips. However, the increased breathing rate is difficult to reconcile with that - why would that cause the fish to breath faster?

The two week timeline is a concern, diseases often show up in the first 30 days. That said, there isn't a specific disease that causes symptoms like this. My best guess is that since it was a new fish, it was startled, or tried to jump out and it injured its mouth. Then, perhaps a secondary bacterial infection has set in. Do you have a treatment tank available? If the fish isn't eating, you will need to go that route. If it is still eating, you could just "wait and see" if it will resolve on its own.

Jay
Update- I woke up and he was dead this morning :(

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update- I woke up and he was dead this morning :(
Sorry to hear. May have been a severe secondary infection, but fish can have multiple problems at the same time. Perhaps an injury combined with a gill infection....
Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 114 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%

Back