Help with “fish room” and how small is yours??

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m currently in the build list process of a 96Lx36Wx30H acrylic display tank or 120x36x30. I will most likely go with the 96 so I can buy local. The DT will be going on the main floor of the house, no basement, no crawl space, house built in 08, and wide tile flooring. The tank would be going up against a wall in my spare living room that has a 159in length.

Behind the wall there’s a bathroom to the left corner and two storage closets in the middle measuring each about 41” in length/20.5” depth/ and over 9ft tall. I could potentially have them made into one larger closet but would this still be large to use as a water storage and mixing station? I could connect a RODI unit in the bathroom and run it to the closet since they are next to each other and I could run any ATO or water change lines since the closet and living room share the same back walls

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m currently in the build list process of a 96x36x30 acrylic display tank or 120x36x30. I will most likely go with the 96 so I can buy local. The DT will be going on the main floor of the house, no basement, no crawl space, house built in 08, and wide tile flooring. The tank would be going up against a wall in my spare living room that has a 159in length.

Behind the wall there’s a bathroom to the left corner and two storage closets in the middle measuring each about 41” in length/20.5” depth/ and over 9ft tall. I could potentially have them made into one larger closet but would this still be large to use as a water storage and mixing station? I could connect a RODI unit in the bathroom and run it to the closet since they are next to each other and I could run any ATO or water change lines since the closet and living room share the same back walls
Mine is tiny!

20230330_173041.jpg 20230330_173031.jpg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s awesome!!

I feel like everything I see on YouTube for my desired tank size usually has huge fish rooms. Hopefully I can make my space work for me like you did
It's a work in progress for sure, lol. Just make it work to fit your needs.
My AWC system is in one of the blue cans and the waste dumps outside.

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m currently in the build list process of a 96x36x30 acrylic display tank or 120x36x30. I will most likely go with the 96 so I can buy local. The DT will be going on the main floor of the house, no basement, no crawl space, house built in 08, and wide tile flooring. The tank would be going up against a wall in my spare living room that has a 159in length.

Here’s a pic of my half bath. The Closets are to the left side of the sink

Attachments

• 78CE87E8-D409-44D2-998D-41C1F68F9136.jpeg
    78CE87E8-D409-44D2-998D-41C1F68F9136.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a work in progress for sure, lol. Just make it work to fit your needs.
My AWC system is in one of the blue cans and the waste dumps outside.
I appreciate the encouragement, everything just seems harder when it’s your first time doing it lol.

It’d be perfect for me if I could fit a mixing station, and run everything for, ATO, AWC, dosing unit & controller

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

collins.jason.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish Room.. That would be nice. I'd have to buy a bigger house. I only just got back into fish keeping when I bought my current house. But in the past 18 months since we've moved in there's been the addition of 6 tanks all in my living room. Smallest is a BioCube 32, biggest is my most recent Waterbox Reef 180.5

I'm just happy the wife puts up with it.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those two tanks for your mixing station closet look great - I got my mixing station tanks from the same place : ) What you can do is plumb them together in such a way so you can isolate them normally, but connect them and use both for mixing if you ever need it - for an emergency 160g water change. Then I use the freshwater one for auto top off - and you'll need something that big if you are ever thinking of going on a 2+ week vacation and don't want to risk leaving your RODI unit on.

Last edited:

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standing agianst the back wall, my 96x24x31 tank on my right side. This is my fish room, that is a 75g to the left ear marked for use as a QT if I ever get around to making the sump system for it. Black tub is for water changes, 60g. White square container is a Pet Food container I repurposed into a ATO reservoir.

20230611_060656[1].jpg

20230611_060656[1].jpg

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a radical idea.

If you really need to save space, you can skip space hog salt water mixing station.

Set up an AWC...

BUT... instead of dripping saltwater back into your tank.... drip RO / DI water directly in, and drip brine from a small saturated brine bucket in at the same time. This can be done with very small rectangular reservoirs (one for RO, one for brine - 20 or 30 gallons each), and would require you to only add a bag of salt once every week or two to the brine.

You will need an apex conductivity probe to adjust the rate of brine delivery to maintain steady salinity.

I got this idea from the DIalyseas reef tank dialysis system. You can skip the dialysis part, but model the salt and water replacement strategy. I have been doing it this way for a few years now in a system about the size of what you plan to build.

There are multiple theoretical problems with delivering brine instead of properly mixed saltwater. But, it works just fine when done slowly in an AWC style system. If you are interested, I can supply the details of how to make this work.

The only real downside to this approach is that you can't have a large amount of RO and Saltwater in reserve to recover from a leak. This could be compensated for with a very high capacity RO DI system.

I have a gigantic fish room, but, I keep doing it this way because it is so much easier (for me) than having to mix saltwater properly all the time.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back