Help with Aiptasia problem

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pro
I see the filefish picking at rocks and here and there, probably pods or something like that.
But aiptasia i’ll need to force Lol
Problem I had with the Aiptasia eating green filefish is that one night he almost destroyed $1k worth of Scoly's.

It's taken 6 months for them to almost recover. The filefish is now happily living in someone elses FOWLR tank.

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, Aiptasia-X only made it worst. I am so lucky that I bought a young Peppermint shrimp. It eradicated all my aiptasia during the night. It hides under the live rock when the light is on.

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, Aiptasia-X only made it worst. I am so lucky that I bought a young Peppermint shrimp. It eradicated all my aiptasia during the night. It hides under the live rock when the light is on.
i was amazed how simple of a solution to aiptasia peppermint shrimp were

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll remove the Dottyback and put a some peppermint again to see what happens.

Some say Peppermint shrimp is a hit or miss. Try your luck but at least try to make sure it is Aiptasia eating Peppermint shrimp from the seller.

BTW, I had tried twice using Berghia N., they were VERY expensive. And for some unknown reason they all disappeared before the Aipatasia. Wasted $300. I only have a pair clowns, a spottail blenny and a firefish in my tank then.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had success with peppermint on 2 occasions. I tried a bunch of other methods, lemon juice, kalkwaser, superglue, even nudi and while I had some success nothing like the peppermints. I don't have any LPS which folks report are prime targets for peppermints.

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll remove the Dottyback and put a some peppermint again to see what happens.
The problem with peppermints is they will eventually eat your corals or harass them when all the aiptasia is gone. There are some corals the love to eat like hammers so be careful. I currently have to trap them and banish into the sump or I might just actively feed them so they don’t get hungry for coral

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take rocks out? What I have done successfully is set up a small tote or bucket or tank and add two peppermint shrimps. Then slowly move pieces of rock and corals to the small tote and leave it there for 2-3 days. Add airstone to tank. No light. Peppermint shrimps are nocturnal. Let shrimp eat aiptasia and move rock back to display. Rinse and repeat.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 gallon and had the same problem . I got 3 file fish and on day 4 I could not find a aptasia any where in my tank. It was like magic.

OP
OP
LuanFutemma

LuanFutemma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take rocks out? What I have done successfully is set up a small tote or bucket or tank and add two peppermint shrimps. Then slowly move pieces of rock and corals to the small tote and leave it there for 2-3 days. Add airstone to tank. No light. Peppermint shrimps are nocturnal. Let shrimp eat aiptasia and move rock back to display. Rinse and repeat.
Unfortunately not,
The rocks are big, and the aquascape doesn’t allow me to move it

OP
OP
LuanFutemma

LuanFutemma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 gallon and had the same problem . I got 3 file fish and on day 4 I could not find a aptasia any where in my tank. It was like magic.
Maybe mine are well feed, and not interested in that job.
I’ll try just feed nori for a couple days, let’s see what happens.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back