Help with Aiptasia problem

LuanFutemma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Need Help with my aiptasia problem, i’m tired of this, maybe someone have a some idea…

i have a 130gal mixed reef, and a lot of aiptasias everywhere.
I start with the Aiptasia-X - just mutiply more.
I introduced a some peppermint shrimp (3) and after a 2 days they disappeared
So i try berghias nudibranchs (5) and i never see any results and never seem them anymore.
So i decided to go with filefish sugested by my LFS, he’re doing very well, but since I bought it (2 months already) never see pick any aiptasia.
Week ago decided to put peppermint again (6) and now, I didn’t see then anymore again, after 3 days.

i really don’t know if some fish are eat them.

my fish stock:
- 1 Sailfing Tang
- 1 Powder Brown
- 1 Naso
- 1 Pseudochromis Neon dottyback
- 1 Spotted Filefish

a loose a cleaner shrimp and a Fire shrimp a few months ago, they was big, and live for a year in the tank with no problems, but they just disappeared as well, first my fire shrimp, after 2 days my cleaner shrimp.

I hope you guys can help me with something.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Need Help with my aiptasia problem, i’m tired of this, maybe someone have a some idea…

So i try berghias nudibranchs (5) and i never see any results and never seem them anymore.
So i decided to go with filefish sugested by my LFS, he’re doing very well, but since I bought it (2 months already) never see pick any aiptasia.
Week ago decided to put peppermint again (6) and now, I didn’t see then anymore again, after 3 days.

my fish stock:
- 1 Sailfing Tang
- 1 Powder Brown
- 1 Naso
- 1 Spotted Filefish

a loose a cleaner shrimp and a Fire shrimp a few months ago, they was big, and live for a year in the tank with no problems, but they just disappeared as well, first my fire shrimp, after 2 days my cleaner shrimp.

A few thoughts:

1) the nudibranchs may have been eaten by the dottyback. My pack of 10 adults eat 1-2 large aiptasia a week. The 5 isn't what will solve the problem, it's their offspring. They take a while to amp up their population (if not eaten). Like a few months.

2) the peppermint shrimp are probably hidden deep in the rockwork, and you may never see them, but they are probably there. They do eat the nudibranchs, however. Not all PS eat aiptasia.

As for the filefish.... assuming all of your fish are plump and well fed...I wonder what would happen if you fed only nori for a week or so. The tangs would be 100% fine. The dottyback will eat amphipods and various reef beasties. The file fish would be left wondering what to eat and might be inclined to go for the aiptasia.

I think the shrimpies would also get hungry and be more inclined to eat the aiptasia during the fast as well.

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like you (The OP) I started with Peppermint Shrimp......nothing. Added Berghai, never saw them. Added a AE Filefish, after a week all Aptasia gone. I have no idea whether it was the Berghai or the Filefish that worked. After researching I discovered that the Berghai come out after the lights are off to eat. With the Filefish I didn't feed anything but it was the only fish in the tank at that time.

OP
OP
LuanFutemma

LuanFutemma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few thoughts:

1) the nudibranchs may have been eaten by the dottyback. My pack of 10 adults eat 1-2 large aiptasia a week. The 5 isn't what will solve the problem, it's their offspring. They take a while to amp up their population (if not eaten). Like a few months.

2) the peppermint shrimp are probably hidden deep in the rockwork, and you may never see them, but they are probably there. They do eat the nudibranchs, however. Not all PS eat aiptasia.

As for the filefish.... assuming all of your fish are plump and well fed...I wonder what would happen if you fed only nori for a week or so. The tangs would be 100% fine. The dottyback will eat amphipods and various reef beasties. The file fish would be left wondering what to eat and might be inclined to go for the aiptasia.

I think the shrimpies would also get hungry and be more inclined to eat the aiptasia during the fast as well.
1) wow, so dottybacks eats nudibranchs
2) ‍♂️ - can be and i just notice that they can eat the nudibranchs as well
I’ll try feed just nori ans Let’s see what happens

thanx

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put an ORA Matted Filefish (2.5" Big) in my tank 2 months ago plus 4 PS about 3 months ago,, The Matted file fish as of last week ate all aptasia in the display and last Thursday and Friday he made meals out of the PS that were almost as big as him...
This file fish is a machine and now goes around the tank all day hunting and eats food I give him twice a day.. I always try to get a smaller file fish so they can get in between polyps to get the little aptasia. This little ******* is picking in one colony of zoas that has some Branching Hydriods and hes doing a good job but at this rate he will be out of food and have to wait for me to feed him.
Never had a File Fish ever harm any polyps.
** ORA Matted File Fish or a Jade File Fish are your best bets.

Firstxreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always go for a little kalkwasser mixed with water put it in a pipette or syringe without needle and dribble a tiny bit in the center of the aptasia. Next morning it's all gone. I have been using this method for a couple years now. Had to do a lot at first to get ahead of the infestation but now I only occasionally see one or two.

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% neon dottyback is your guy eating shrimp and nudibranch. I had to remove dottyback because he love those expensive peppermint shrimp snacks. He would also demolish bristle worms. Dude was a beast. But had to go.

Attachments

• 20201221_155641.jpg
    20201221_155641.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 70

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) wow, so dottybacks eats nudibranchs
2) ‍♂️ - can be and i just notice that they can eat the nudibranchs as well
I’ll try feed just nori ans Let’s see what happens

thanx
I'm not 100% sure that the dottybacks eat nudibranchs, but they love various other reef creepy crawlies. Back when everyone thought bristle worms were a one way ticket to reefing armageddon, the solution was to get a dottyback because they like worms. Obviously burghia are not worms, but my bet is that they would pull the wrasse move and go for it.

No harm in trying the nori thing...and honestly you could probably even extend it a few days longer. Just keep an eye on the tank and do what the fish need.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% neon dottyback is your guy eating shrimp and nudibranch. I had to remove dottyback because he love those expensive peppermint shrimp snacks. He would also demolish bristle worms. Dude was a beast. But had to go.
Ah another data point. Cool!

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol. Just looked at the pic. Living in a skull. Epic.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

my fish stock:
- 1 Sailfing Tang
- 1 Powder Brown
- 1 Naso
- 1 Spotted Filefish

I got sick of things not working so did a DIY.

Basically (ha) a 2M solution of Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) with some Calcium Chloride straight at them with a syringe and needle from an old Aiptasia-X kit.

Working well for me.

If you decide to try it, be extremely cautious as a 2M solution will seriously hurt you as well as the Aiptasia if it gets into your eyes. It can damage coral if it falls onto them so be prepared to blow it away with a turkey baster.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got sick of things not working so did a DIY.

Basically (ha) a 2M solution of Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) with some Calcium Chloride straight at them with a syringe and needle from an old Aiptasia-X kit.

Working well for me.

If you decide to try it, be extremely cautious as a 2M solution will seriously hurt you as well as the Aiptasia if it gets into your eyes. It can damage coral if it falls onto them so be prepared to blow it away with a turkey baster.
Is this much more basic than calcium hydroxide? Why the switch?

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

my fish stock:
- 1 Sailfing Tang
- 1 Powder Brown
- 1 Naso
- 1 Spotted Filefish

When I got peppermint shrimp they ate all my aiptasia within 2 days. My tank was much smaller than yours though. Either your shrimp are hiding, got eaten, or flew right into a power head. My first conclusion is maybe something in your tank is eating the shrimp.
Maybe you can exchange the file fish for a new one or just not feed it somehow

OP
OP
LuanFutemma

LuanFutemma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was suspecting…
I’ll try remove or relocated him
Thanks

OP
OP
LuanFutemma

LuanFutemma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got peppermint shrimp they ate all my aiptasia within 2 days. My tank was much smaller than yours though. Either your shrimp are hiding, got eaten, or flew right into a power head. My first conclusion is maybe something in your tank is eating the shrimp.
Maybe you can exchange the file fish for a new one or just not feed it somehow
I’ll try just feed nori for a sometime,
Also, i definitely will relocated the Dottyback to make sure. I’m suspecting that he’re getting very expensive snacks…

OP
OP
LuanFutemma

LuanFutemma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few thoughts:

I see the filefish picking at rocks and here and there, probably pods or something like that.
But aiptasia i’ll need to force Lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 93 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back