Help with an FX-STP pump

Ioncewaslegend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So, I'm having two separate issues with an FX-STP pump:

1. It's making a 'grinding' noise when on. This noise doesn't happen when I don't have the roller head on it, and it persists through mulitple (brand new) roller heads.
2. It's started randomly accelerating to extremely high speeds, then seizing and stopping. It does this only when I have the 'clip' holding the tubing in place; however, it does it no matter how weak the 'clip' tension is, and modifying tubing length hasn't helped.

Video below; anybody have any ideas?

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm having two separate issues with an FX-STP pump:

1. It's making a 'grinding' noise when on. This noise doesn't happen when I don't have the roller head on it, and it persists through mulitple (brand new) roller heads.
2. It's started randomly accelerating to extremely high speeds, then seizing and stopping. It does this only when I have the 'clip' holding the tubing in place; however, it does it no matter how weak the 'clip' tension is, and modifying tubing length hasn't helped.

Video below; anybody have any ideas?

I would hit up coral view for warranty

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its NFG.

Replace it.
False. Bearings wore out. I bought the pump, replaced bearings and its rocking again. It'll get ticked at about 100ml/min, but runs fine slower. My guess is using bottom shelf Amazon bearings in a precision stepper motor is the reason. I'm sure higher quality bearings would make a big difference. Also, so would replacing the bearings at rhe first signs of an issue rather than letting the shaft spin in the inner race and grinding off enough shaft material so that the new bearing isn't as tight as it should be.
2nd unit I've done this on. Both run 24/7, 365. One at 12ml/min. For kalk And one at 0.1ml/min. For lye.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Ive picked up a few cheap really nice master flex pumps over the years because the prior owner didn’t seem to know pumps have bearings and when your tubing splits with saltwater you need to open the pump up

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Ive picked up a few cheap really nice master flex pumps over the years because the prior owner didn’t seem to know pumps have bearings and when your tubing splits with saltwater you need to open the pump up
These actually seemed to have failed due to wear. No corrosion. Not sure if they were installed dry, or just low quality. Even running 24/7, at such a low speed and low load, I'd expect significantly longer life than just 2-3 years. Hoping the fx-stp2 has upgraded bearings. If not, I have extras. I'll spring for some nice SFK or whatever the local beating and motor repair shop stocks and recommends. Trust them over online to not get knock offs.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back