Help With Anthias

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Lyretail Anthias but not having any luck with them. Longest been able to keep them is 3 - 4 months and it was the male. Had 6 females and they would pick on one and chase into a crevice till it would starve to death then start picking on another one. Now I'm down to 2 females.
Male died couple of days ago. Only thing I noticed that his eyes had a bulging film over them. Now one of the females has one eye like that. Only fish that has done this.
I feed them 4 times a day.
What are some ideas that I maybe doing wrong?
Really like these fish but can't keep getting them and they die.
Suggestions on another type of Anthias that are more hardy?

Thanks

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily more hardy but theres a misconception that lyretails will school in a tank but the only reason they do that in the wild is because of predators. In a ref tank there are non. I would suggest Dispar anthias, they are peaceful with each-other, wont fight, and are pretty hardy

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulging eyes are either a sign of injuries or poor water quality in my experience. Poor health would probably contribute as well. What are you feeding them? anthias need meaty foods. Cyclops is a good choice.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They are known to go to war at times especially if you get am aggressive male
How does skin look on them? They are subject to ich, red patches (bacterial) and uronema. This is where acclimation is very important, and I always give them a freshwater bath upon introduction.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can't help you with what ails them. I bought 4 lyretails, all females of various sizes, that were all in the same tank at the LFS. pretty sure the pecking order was already decided among them before I purchased them. the biggest morphed male.

I have a lot of open swimming space and hiding spots when one feels the need to hide. no, they don't "school" but the 3 females stay fairly close together at various times.

no need to feed lyretails 4 times a day. have had mine since December 2018.

OP
OP
NDIrish

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulging eyes are either a sign of injuries or poor water quality in my experience. Poor health would probably contribute as well. What are you feeding them? anthias need meaty foods. Cyclops is a good choice.
Bulging eyes are from being chased into the crevices.
Feeding them a concoction I mix up every morning (all frozen food):
Baby brine shrimp, brine shrimp, blood worms, reef frenzy nano and couple drops of garlic.
They ate good. It was like a frenzy every time I feed them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NDIrish

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are known to go to war at times especially if you get am aggressive male
How does skin look on them? They are subject to ich, red patches (bacterial) and uronema. This is where acclimation is very important, and I always give them a freshwater bath upon introduction.
Skin was good. No sick, red patches and I don't think they had uronema. I was aware they were prone to get uronema so I quarantined them with Metroplex in the water and put Kanaplex in their food.

OP
OP
NDIrish

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can't help you with what ails them. I bought 4 lyretails, all females of various sizes, that were all in the same tank at the LFS. pretty sure the pecking order was already decided among them before I purchased them. the biggest morphed male.

I have a lot of open swimming space and hiding spots when one feels the need to hide. no, they don't "school" but the 3 females stay fairly close together at various times.

no need to feed lyretails 4 times a day. have had mine since December 2018.
I have plenty of swimming room and crevices. There are only 8 fish counting my 2 Lyretail. Been trying so hard trying to keep these guys. I like them.
How often should they be fed?

OP
OP
NDIrish

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well lost another female Lyretail Anthias. Only one left out of six.
Someone mentioned Dispar Anthias. Give them a try.
Also looking maybe trying some wrasses.
Down to 6 fish:
Green chronic x
Lyretail Anthias
Scopas tang
True percula x
Yellow watchman goby
Yellow tail damsel (peaceful) x
(x = fish was given to me)
Any recommendations???

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it some time before adding anything else. Hopefully it will be the end of your losses.
While fish love brine shrimp it is well know they are lacking in nutritional value. It is like giving kids candy for every meal.

OP
OP
NDIrish

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it some time before adding anything else. Hopefully it will be the end of your losses.
While fish love brine shrimp it is well know they are lacking in nutritional value. It is like giving kids candy for every meal.
The brine shrimp I use is enriched with spirulina.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back