Help with Apex code

jonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just like a bunch of you guys I just COULD NOT resist 10x points at BRS when I have been planning on getting one for so long anyways..now..I'm a poor poor man..so I just got the Apex JR. but it should really do all I need for now..just wondering if any of you apex masters could take a look at my code that I have, and see if it looks workable to you guys.

Now keep in mind I've never seen the interface in person, so I'm not sure how much can be done with the default selections..

Here is what I have for what I'll be using for the 4 outlets.

Sunrise/sunset lights: What I'll be trying to accomplish here is turning on actinics for 2 hours before and after daylights. From 11am to 1pm and then from 6pm to 8pm

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 11:00 to 13:00 Then ON
If Time 18:00 to 20:00 Then ON

Day lights: What I'll be trying to accomplish here is have the lights on from 1pm to 6pm and have the lights turn off if the temp gets over 82.5

Fallback OFF
If Time 13:00 to 18:00 Then ON
If Temp > 82.5 Then OFF

Heater: This is pretty self explainitory..turn heater on if it's under 80deg fahrenheit heater is on..over 81 it's off..

fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Temp < 80.0 Then ON
If Temp > 81.0 Then OFF

Email alert: This one I'm not really clear on, so I'll probably need some pointers on this one

If Temp > 85.0 Then ON
If Temp < 77.0 Then ON

Thanks for looking guys, let me know if I need to make any changes, or add anything.

OP
OP
jonny

jonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, forgot the code for my cooling fans..which is pretty important lol
Again self explanatory, need to have fans run if temp is over 81, but don't want them on making noise all the time.

Fallback OFF
If Temp > 81.0 Then ON
If Temp < 80.0 Then OFF

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your heater, you may want to consider setting the fallback to ON. You would also want to adjust the thermostat on your heater slightly above the temp you set on the Apex.

OP
OP
jonny

jonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply!
I had considered that..but I'm just paranoid that if the thermostat fails in the heater (which is half the reason I wanted a controller), and the Apex for whatever reason would fallback to ON, it would fry the tank..thoughts on that, or do you think that's a little too paranoid? lol

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply!
I had considered that..but I'm just paranoid that if the thermostat fails in the heater (which is half the reason I wanted a controller), and the Apex for whatever reason would fallback to ON, it would fry the tank..thoughts on that, or do you think that's a little too paranoid? lol

I hear you. It's all about weighing risks, I suppose.

We have 3 high wattage heaters connected to our larger system. They are not cheap and we do routinely rotate them out to clean and test or replace - while there are no 100% guarantees, we've never had a heater thermostat fail, but we have had incidents where the Apex base unit lost connection to our EB8's. One of those incidents was severe enough that the base unit had to be sent back to Neptune for repair and we had to run our system without a controller for a week and a half. We've had a few less severe incidences over the years - most just required powering off/on the base unit to reset the connection, but a couple have required assistance from Neptune.

If you feel your tank temp would not fall below the safe range during a prolonged controller outage, the fallback OFF setting should be fine.

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump
Anymore suggestions, or does it look alright?

depending on what kind of lights you have, you may want to add a min time statement

with my program for my metal halides, I want to make sure that if they go off for any reason (voluntary or not) they stay off for a min amount of time to cool down before they come back on which is better for the bulbs. So I added a line that makes sure if they go off they stay off for at least 10 minutes

Min Time 010:00 Then OFF

min time is useful lots of places.

OP
OP
jonny

jonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh great idea, thank you..I have it set for my heater but I never thought to set it for my lights.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 56 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%

Back