Help with clownfish aggression...

FantasyCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Ocellaris clownfish in my 180 gallon aquarium. Just recently I added 4 anthias to the tank. The clownfish will not leave them alone and are not letting them eat very well. I tried to rearrange the aquascape and it helped a tiny bit. They are still being complete brats. They are both female clowns. They get along fine together. I just got 2 percula clowns for my Biocube. They are really tiny. Should I swap out the Ocellaris in the 180 and stick them in the Biocube and put the Percs in my 180? My cube is 29 gallons. Any suggestions? They do not have an anemone. Do you think that might help? They host in 2 trachyphyllia's currently. Please let me know. Thank you.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Try placing a mirror on the glass of the tank to take his attention away for a while.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start feeding more,I honestly think they are not both female,I know they arent.

Try to get them a good host and actully maybe try to seperate them from the anthias a bit to see if that will make them exept them.

OP
OP
F

FantasyCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told that they were both female. I had my black clown for 4 years alone. The orange clown was a friends that had it for 8 years alone in her tank. Is it possible that one of them reverted back to being male? They are both large. Would a sebae anemone help possibly? I did place a mirror there as well. Sorry I did not add that. It was a makeup mirror. Do I need a bigger one?

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd,they must both be female then,very odd if they have been alone that long.They cant change back to male once they are female.Maybe get a bigger mirror.

OP
OP
F

FantasyCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone on another forum said that since they are both female, then will end up terrorizing the tank in the future. What do you think? I hate to get rid of them. If there is anything I can do to help, I will try it. I will try a bigger mirror I guess. What is a good host for them? LTA? Seb? Don't worry, I have been in this hobby for about 4 1/2 years. I just have not posted here much. I am kind of desperate. Someone said to give them a time out in the sump. What do you all think?

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,since they are both female aggresion is there no matter,I would rid of 1 and get a smaller male IMO.Put one in the sump and then get a nice male.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can,but I dont like crossed pairs,I would take your male sPerc,but then your perc pair is split up,it would be easier to go buy a $10 male ocellaris.

OP
OP
F

FantasyCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How come you don't like a crossed pair? What if I just put the 2 percs in the 180 and the Occerlaris in my 29 biocube? Or is that a bad idea?

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like things natural,I mean,they just look nicer,I mean a crossed pair is like a clarkii and a ocerllaris,kinda odd.

Its up to you,I just want to say putting your 2 females into a smaller tank may cause them to fight,but you can try it.I wont be held for any problems that may occur,Im just saying,they might fight.

firereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd,they must both be female then,very odd if they have been alone that long.They cant change back to male once they are female.Maybe get a bigger mirror.

Sorry op for the thread hijack but I was curious...

Austin, since they can't change back to males, will my naked clown pairs eventually pair up since they are the only two clowns in my tank? They both are about the same size and pick at each other once in a while.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should,keep in mind that naken clowns dont get very large,I dont know why,but they just dont.

Back