Help with coral ID

  • Thread starter Thread starter CannaJake
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

CannaJake

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 29, 2024
Messages
64
Reaction score
49
Location
Idaho
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a coral about 3 weeks ago and the people at the shop didnt know what it was. Its my favorite coral but I dont even know what its called! Ive asked management at 3 different aquarium shops locally and they have all told me something different. Could I get some input from my R2R teammates? Thank you in advance! It likes lower par, med to low flow and has tentacles that come out when I spot feed it. The flesh is soft and gently moves in the current. It seems to really love to eat shrimp. It has multiple mouthes and over the last 3 weeks its certainly grown. I would love to remove it from the frag it came on and give it a permanent large rock for it to take over but I dont want to hurt it.

20240901_144912.jpg 20240812_234249.jpg
 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first one looks like an acan and the second looks like a blasto to me.
Both pictures are of the same coral. One is when it is laid out and open and the other is when its starting to eat and puts all its tentacles out.
 
Both pictures are of the same coral. One is when it is laid out and open and the other is when its starting to eat and puts all its tentacles out.
Here is another pic with the white lights on...
 

Attachments

  • 20240901_164714.jpg
    20240901_164714.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 35
Oulophyllia cf bennettae
Yes!!! I googled it and found an image very very similar! Thank you so much entrustingacro!!! Now I can finally look at its preferred parameters! I am so pumped! Thank you!!!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 51 34.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 22 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new