Help with dinos

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gallon reef which Is 4 months old. A few weeks ago I noticed a few air bubbles on the rocks which just blew off pretty easily. I noticed this week that dinos have started to grow on the sand and on my frag plugs on the sand. I've been siphoning out as much as possible.
Levels are
Nitrate 4ppm with red Sea kit
Phosphate .04 with Hannah
1.026 salinity
Skimmer is working as a dry skim
Decent flow in the tank to sustain sps.
I was going to start dosing prodibio bioclean this week but am thinking twice until I control these dinos.
What can I do to eradicate these dinos? I've been feeding a little more to try to bring up nutrient levels but I haven't noticed much of a difference. I'm was going to try to keep the lights on blues only to see if that helps slow the growth. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you
Andrew

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got a picture of the Dino?

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're gonna have to go at it from multiple angles if it is dinos (get a microscope to make sure). I had them and had to throw the book at them to get them to F off. The book included:

Raising P and NO3
Dosing microbacter 7 daily
72hr blackout
Added an appropriately sized UV sterilizer
Blow them off things and change floss/socks right after

The blackout and UV finally did it, I saw them one more time and caught it early and did a blackout and never have seen them since. Good luck!

OP
OP
150 Gallon Reef

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting the blackout method tonight actually. Anybody have any I'll effects on corals with the lights being out that long? I'm putting blackout curtains overtop the tank. Do I have to worry about oxygen exchange with it being covered? Skimmer on or off? Thank you everyone

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gallon reef which Is 4 months old. A few weeks ago I noticed a few air bubbles on the rocks which just blew off pretty easily. I noticed this week that dinos have started to grow on the sand and on my frag plugs on the sand. I've been siphoning out as much as possible.
Levels are
Nitrate 4ppm with red Sea kit
Phosphate .04 with Hannah
1.026 salinity
Skimmer is working as a dry skim
Decent flow in the tank to sustain sps.
I was going to start dosing prodibio bioclean this week but am thinking twice until I control these dinos.
What can I do to eradicate these dinos? I've been feeding a little more to try to bring up nutrient levels but I haven't noticed much of a difference. I'm was going to try to keep the lights on blues only to see if that helps slow the growth. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you
Andrew

You really need to know exactly what type of dino you are battling in order to create an attack plan. There are a few different types and treatments are different. A cheap microscope will make your life easier down the road. I've battled small cell amphidinium and ostreopsis. My tank finally looks good...it has taken over a year! Instead of being discouraged with them, try to focus elsewhere and learn to live with them while you are battling them...much better for your mental health with that mentality!

Get a scope and take a few pics through the eyepiece with your phone...

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting the blackout method tonight actually. Anybody have any I'll effects on corals with the lights being out that long? I'm putting blackout curtains overtop the tank. Do I have to worry about oxygen exchange with it being covered? Skimmer on or off? Thank you everyone
You can run your skimmer while you are having a blackout. No extra oxygen exchange required with the blackout...just make sure the water surface is being broken.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Forgot...make sure you are running some carbon. Some dinos are toxic, especially with die off.

magikfly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're gonna have to go at it from multiple angles if it is dinos (get a microscope to make sure). I had them and had to throw the book at them to get them to F off. The book included:

Raising P and NO3
Dosing microbacter 7 daily
72hr blackout
Added an appropriately sized UV sterilizer
Blow them off things and change floss/socks right after

The blackout and UV finally did it, I saw them one more time and caught it early and did a blackout and never have seen them since. Good luck!

+1. Multi-pronged attack is the only thing that gets rid of them for good.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back