Help with Emporer Angel treatment/eating

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish is important to me on several fronts so I'm in the verge of panicking by now. After a long treatment phase through ICH last year I waited almost six months to add a fish and was very picky on where I got it from. This fish is special between my daughter and I and I don't want to lose it.
Brought it home, acclimated, and placed it in the tank. A few hours later I noticed a white spot on the tail fin and one on a front fin. Quickly got my qt setup and placed it in. Watched it for a couple of days and it started doing what could be described as flashing so I started Coppersafe and have it now up to a reading of 2.64.
It'll be a week tomorrow that I got the fish and the same two spots are still there and no others have appeared. Not sure what if anything that means but that's what I'm seeing. I unfortunately can't get it to eat though. I've tried two different size pellets, some nori, mysis, and even a little fresh scallop. Goes to it, sometimes takes some, but then spits it back. I really don't want to lose this fish.
I plan on finishing the copper treatment to be safe but any ideas on stimulating it to eat or is it just time and luck?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This fish is important to me on several fronts so I'm in the verge of panicking by now. After a long treatment phase through ICH last year I waited almost six months to add a fish and was very picky on where I got it from. This fish is special between my daughter and I and I don't want to lose it.
Brought it home, acclimated, and placed it in the tank. A few hours later I noticed a white spot on the tail fin and one on a front fin. Quickly got my qt setup and placed it in. Watched it for a couple of days and it started doing what could be described as flashing so I started Coppersafe and have it now up to a reading of 2.64.
It'll be a week tomorrow that I got the fish and the same two spots are still there and no others have appeared. Not sure what if anything that means but that's what I'm seeing. I unfortunately can't get it to eat though. I've tried two different size pellets, some nori, mysis, and even a little fresh scallop. Goes to it, sometimes takes some, but then spits it back. I really don't want to lose this fish.
I plan on finishing the copper treatment to be safe but any ideas on stimulating it to eat or is it just time and luck?
A pic or two under white lighting will be helpful but it is likely lymphocystis which these agels are susceptible to and often caused by water quality issues and/or diet
Spitting food out may occur up front. Start with enticing foods such as spirulina brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, clam on 1/2 shell and live brine shrimp

OP
OP
hoffmeyerz

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to get a pic but I haven't had much luck with my phone. The silly thing is I worked 20 years as a photojournalist and I've just been to lazy to get my gear out...lol.
I'll get my camera out to get a good shot when I get home today. I've tried everything I have at home for food but I'll pick up some of your suggestions while I'm out today.
Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably Lymphocystis, that species is known for that. They also get ich pretty easily, so the copper is a good idea. They are also prone to Neobenedenia flukes, so a Prazipro treatment after the copper is a good idea. I'll wait to see the pics....

Jay

OP
OP
hoffmeyerz

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, got a chance to grab a quick shot. You can see the spot on the bottom of its tail pretty easily. The other spot is on his front fin, you can kind of see the white of it show against the blue right about mid-body as the fin is currently folded back.
I did put in some live brine shrimp when I got home which seemed to perk it right up. Swam around chasing some and even ate a few which really made me happy! I'm not sure if it's really young but it almost didn't seem to know how to catch them...lol...kept missing them all the time. Not used to that, my fish usually tear them up like crazy.

Attachments

• Emporer Angel.jpg
    Emporer Angel.jpg
    466.3 KB · Views: 20

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tailspot is Lymphocytis. It will probably get worse over time and then the lesions will reduce and go away after a few months.
More of an issue is the pale mottling the fish shows. Emperor angels show this in response to skin parasites - either ich or flukes. Probably flukes. That can be treated in a DT with two Prazipro treatments, with good aeration, 8 or 9 days apart.
Jay

OP
OP
hoffmeyerz

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tailspot is Lymphocytis. It will probably get worse over time and then the lesions will reduce and go away after a few months.
More of an issue is the pale mottling the fish shows. Emperor angels show this in response to skin parasites - either ich or flukes. Probably flukes. That can be treated in a DT with two Prazipro treatments, with good aeration, 8 or 9 days apart.
Jay
Thank you Jay, I greatly appreciate that. I saw the discoloration when I picked it up but wasn't quite sure at the time what it may have meant. Would you recommend a freshwater dip in the meantime?
It's hard to see in that pic but the one on the front finn is the larger of the two spots. They haven't changed at all in the week that I've had the fish, is lymphocytis that slow to advance?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A FW dip will cause some of the flukes to drop off. If you look close in the dip water afterwards you may see them. It won’t cure the fish though, you would then want to treat the tank with prazipro.
Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back