Help with feeding

Marinenewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently gotten a pair of Kuda seahorses and they are doing pretty well except they won’t take the frozen mysis and I’m having to target feed a mix of live mysis and brine shrimp. The LFS is great and apparently had them a couple months and feeding on frozen mysis but when I got them he recommended I get a few bags of live food to put in tank as well to make sure they settled which they did. Except one wouldn’t take the frozen and was only feeding on live mysis, brine, gamerous. The other one was eating the frozen a bit as well as live. After a few days the one wasn’t feeding at all and I realised I needed to go get more live food. The problem is the LFS is hour away. So I went and stocked up more live food and started target feeding as some of the fish and my pipefish decided they like live food too! Ugh! Now both Seahorses are only taking live food and my pipefish is starting to go off the frozen! This is definitely going in the wrong direction and no matter what I do they only want live. I feed a variety of frozen to the fish including copepods, cyclops, fish eggs, blood worms and mysis so I don’t know what else to try. The closest I’ve gotten is frozen enriched brine shrimp which look just like the live and some times they will take one as it floats down but mostly just stare at it and if it doesn’t move they ignore it. I’ve started to consider hatching brine shrimp but ugh! Just not what I want to deal with. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes- start with live and wean in frozen. If wild caught, they are accustomed to live moving food.

OP
OP
Marinenewbie

Marinenewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they are captive bred and apparently were eating frozen mysis at the LFS but I think when I put in all the live food the first day that kind of put them back on live food. Not sure. But just wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back