Help with "grainy" pictures

Littlebigaj

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 3, 2009
Messages
74
Reaction score
3
Location
UCF Orlando
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could anyone throw me some advice please on how to get a more clear photograph, please? Im getting a bunch of grain throughout my photos.

I'm shooting with a canon rebel XT, in AV mode, with a 55-250mm lens that uses AF and Image Stabilization. I've been using an ISO of 1600, AWB, and I 'think' an aperature of 11-14 (if that is the number affected by turning the vertical dial.

Am I not getting enough light exposure? Does the lighting in the room affect anything, it is a dim room aside from the fish tank ambiance. I don't know much about photography at all.

Thanks!

why.jpg
 
The higher the iso, the more grain you will see. You could try and put the iso as low as possible and make sure the apeture is as open as possible. With that lens in this type of shooting enviroment you will probably not be able to get what you are looking for. I would try and find a good used f/1.8 or 2.8 at a local pawn shop or online.

But to answer your question, higher iso's are used to compensate for lack of ambient lighting. If you are shooting with an apeture of 11-14 is letting very little light in.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new