Help with "grainy" pictures

Littlebigaj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could anyone throw me some advice please on how to get a more clear photograph, please? Im getting a bunch of grain throughout my photos.

I'm shooting with a canon rebel XT, in AV mode, with a 55-250mm lens that uses AF and Image Stabilization. I've been using an ISO of 1600, AWB, and I 'think' an aperature of 11-14 (if that is the number affected by turning the vertical dial.

Am I not getting enough light exposure? Does the lighting in the room affect anything, it is a dim room aside from the fish tank ambiance. I don't know much about photography at all.

Thanks!

why.jpg

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The higher the iso, the more grain you will see. You could try and put the iso as low as possible and make sure the apeture is as open as possible. With that lens in this type of shooting enviroment you will probably not be able to get what you are looking for. I would try and find a good used f/1.8 or 2.8 at a local pawn shop or online.

But to answer your question, higher iso's are used to compensate for lack of ambient lighting. If you are shooting with an apeture of 11-14 is letting very little light in.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back