Help with green bta

Capn_Beefhart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tank for right at a yr. Let it cycle and have only kept hermits in it for about half of that time. About 2 months ago I started buys corals. I have Zoas, gsp, Duncan and feather duster. My zoas went from about four each on two frags and have multiplied to more than 20 on each. The gsp and Duncan have done reall well to. So I bought a Green bta three days ago and acclimated him for 2 hrs before putting in the tank. It moved itself twice in those two days and from what I have read it is looking for a suitable spot in the tank. Everything looked fine last night and when I woke up and the tank lights came on the poor thing looked terrible. Can anyone tell me if this poor thing is dying? I hope not as I really would like to keep a nem. The pics I will post in order the first is after 2 days and the second is this morning 10/19/22. I know my salinity is a little high at the moment, however I do not want to create and drastic changes due to the new bta and him already being stressed due to adjusting to the tank. I am really hoping that the bta is just really stressing and going to be ok and will pull through. Any advice is greatly appreciated. And just to say I really love the reefing hobby. My tank set up and water parameters are as follows. Also is there a possibility the hermits are trying to eat it at night?? They just pass it on by during the day and pay it no mind besides rubbing up against it when passing. I attached the pics of Zoas Duncan and Gsp to show health of them also a pic of the set up as a whole
80B50356-357C-4BA0-8DC8-AFDF89BBA399.jpeg
D019BAFE-21A4-4BE2-94E1-684FB8ED7F9E.jpeg
C1BE504B-A8A9-42E4-BB9B-E15B5FE22EC2.jpeg
F31598FE-7D31-444B-B87E-A70BBF89CCE3.jpeg

Fluval Evo 13.7
Sicce 0.5 pump
Intank chamber1 media basket
Chamber 1 - InTank Filter media floss
Chamber 2 - Chemipure elite
Chamber 3 - Bio media balls
Lighting - Hyper reef 50 with timer
My timer setting are 8:00 am on with 20 all blues.
9:00am - 20% blues and 5% whites
10:30am - 5% blues and 25% whites
12:00pm - 5% blues and 30% whites
7:00pm - 10% blues 15% whites
8:00pm - 20% blues 0% whites
10:00pm - all off

Tank water parameters

78 degrees
DKh - 10
Calcium - 420ppm
Phosphates - 0.01ppm
PH 8.2
Ammonia - 0.0ppm
Nitrite - 0.0ppm
Nitrate - 5ppm
Salinity - 1.026

Tank mates are
2 thin striped hermits
2 nassarius snails
2 bumblebee snails
1 Mexican Turbo

OP
OP
Capn_Beefhart

Capn_Beefhart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tank for right at a yr. Let it cycle and have only kept hermits in it for about half of that time. About 2 months ago I started buys corals. I have Zoas, gsp, Duncan and feather duster. My zoas went from about four each on two frags and have multiplied to more than 20 on each. The gsp and Duncan have done reall well to. So I bought a Green bta three days ago and acclimated him for 2 hrs before putting in the tank. It moved itself twice in those two days and from what I have read it is looking for a suitable spot in the tank. Everything looked fine last night and when I woke up and the tank lights came on the poor thing looked terrible. Can anyone tell me if this poor thing is dying? I hope not as I really would like to keep a nem. The pics I will post in order the first is after 2 days and the second is this morning 10/19/22. I know my salinity is a little high at the moment, however I do not want to create and drastic changes due to the new bta and him already being stressed due to adjusting to the tank. I am really hoping that the bta is just really stressing and going to be ok and will pull through. Any advice is greatly appreciated. And just to say I really love the reefing hobby. My tank set up and water parameters are as follows. Also is there a possibility the hermits are trying to eat it at night?? They just pass it on by during the day and pay it no mind besides rubbing up against it when passing. I attached the pics of Zoas Duncan and Gsp to show health of them also a pic of the set up as a whole

Fluval Evo 13.7
Sicce 0.5 pump

Tank water parameters

78 degrees
DKh - 10
Calcium - 420ppm
Phosphates - 0.01ppm
PH 8.2
Ammonia - 0.0ppm
Nitrite - 0.0ppm
Nitrate - 5ppm
Salinity - 1.026

Tank mates are
2 thin striped hermits
2 nassarius snails
2 bumblebee snails
1 Mexican Turbo
Correction: first pic is this morning 10/19/22 second is last night 10/18/22

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well it looks damaged by something... probably not hermits cuz they dont eat anemones. Did u feed the anemone before? The crabs might have pryed it out of its mouth or something

OP
OP
Capn_Beefhart

Capn_Beefhart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tbh it looks like it got stuck in a powerhead for something...
It is still attached to the rock very well. I would have to pry to get it off and its mouth is not open either. I am at a loss as to how it went south in an evening.

OP
OP
Capn_Beefhart

Capn_Beefhart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well it looks damaged by something... probably not hermits cuz they dont eat anemones. Did u feed the anemone before? The crabs might have pryed it out of its mouth or something
And no I didn’t feed it because I didn’t think you were supposed to feed them with in the first week of introducing it to the tank.

GottaLottaDogs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is still attached to the rock very well. I would have to pry to get it off and its mouth is not open either. I am at a loss as to how it went south in an evening.
The only things I can think of are:

Something really wrong with your water. Maybe do an ICP test to see if any trace elements are high.

A bad nem that was already on its way out. I, too, have never seen a newly introduced nem go south so quickly...

Tray21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would def reccommend doing an ICP test. My nems have done weird things in the past 4 months similar to this but are still very much alive. Do you have children in the house that may have put something in the tank? It could be in need of some added flow in the tank as mine tend to favor the moderate to higher flow areas in my tank. Side bar... The sea mine is really cool!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Fluval Evo 13.7
Sicce 0.5 pump

Tank water parameters

78 degrees
DKh - 10
Calcium - 420ppm
Phosphates - 0.01ppm
PH 8.2
Ammonia - 0.0ppm
Nitrite - 0.0ppm
Nitrate - 5ppm
Salinity - 1.026

Tank mates are
2 thin striped hermits
2 nassarius snails
2 bumblebee snails
1 Mexican Turbo
Its very stresses and not looking well. Some of the things that cause stress is generally associated with light and water flow. Avoid the extremes are important which are extreme light and water flow. They have a behavioral regimen in which if there is too much flow, they move. Too much light , they hide. Too little flow and they shrink as in your case and too little light and they climb often ending in in a powerhead
Feeding also important feeding them mysis shrimp and chopped krill.
They dont like water changes although needed at times and changes in chemistry

OP
OP
Capn_Beefhart

Capn_Beefhart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only things I can think of are:

Something really wrong with your water. Maybe do an ICP test to see if any trace elements are high.

A bad nem that was already on its way out. I, too, have never seen a newly introduced nem go south so quickly...
It seemed to be doing so good. As the pic from the night before is what it looked like from about 45 after introducing it to the tank until I saw it this am. Would the foot be so firmly attached if its on its way out? And thank you for all of your help GottaLottaDogs. Will get the nem out as soon as I get home from work. Hopefully its not already went nuclear on me.

OP
OP
Capn_Beefhart

Capn_Beefhart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would def reccommend doing an ICP test. My nems have done weird things in the past 4 months similar to this but are still very much alive. Do you have children in the house that may have put something in the tank? It could be in need of some added flow in the tank as mine tend to favor the moderate to higher flow areas in my tank. Side bar... The sea mine is really cool!
I do not have any kids at all. And it was in an area of moderate flow at first and it moved itself to the position it is in now. I am going to stop and get an Icp test kit on my way home from work. The foot was attached to the rock very firmly when I checked tis am. And thank you for the compliment. I love the sea mine too!

OP
OP
Capn_Beefhart

Capn_Beefhart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its very stresses and not looking well. Some of the things that cause stress is generally associated with light and water flow. Avoid the extremes are important which are extreme light and water flow. They have a behavioral regimen in which if there is too much flow, they move. Too much light , they hide. Too little flow and they shrink as in your case and too little light and they climb often ending in in a powerhead
Feeding also important feeding them mysis shrimp and chopped krill.
They dont like water changes although needed at times and changes in chemistry
I haven’t fed it anything as its only been in the tank for 3 days. Possibly the light is not strong enough. I put my light settings in the first post and don’t run them nearly as bright at they will go. Could the lack of enough PAR be the cause of it being so stressed. Also when I checked it this morning and found it in this condition, the foot was still firmly attached to the rock. Also could it be that the lighting is to much? Thank you for your reply any information is great to me.

GottaLottaDogs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if I'm seeing the morning picture wrong, but once it starts spewing its guts out like that, the health of the foot is irrelevant. I believe the cause of this is more water related than lighting related. If it were lighting related, you would see it move around a lot or close up. If your ICP test doesn't show anything funky, I would maybe get some Ciprofloxacin before buying the next nem.

OP
OP
Capn_Beefhart

Capn_Beefhart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if I'm seeing the morning picture wrong, but once it starts spewing its guts out like that, the health of the foot is irrelevant. I believe the cause of this is more water related than lighting related. If it were lighting related, you would see it move around a lot or close up. If your ICP test doesn't show anything funky, I would maybe get some Ciprofloxacin before buying the next nem.
That makes sense and I also believe you are correct about the water, there is really no other reason for it to go down hill so fast. Just wanting to hoping for the best for the bta that unfortunately I believe is already dead. Reefing is a learning experience for sure and I thank you for taking time to answer my noob bta questions!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back