Help with Green Goniopora

Chewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received my Green Goniopora today,
During my dipping I noticed like a small spider looking thing attached to it, as well as other hikers jumping out. I am new with Goniopora an can not find any photos of say infants growth of Goniopora anywhere that looks like the photo attached. Thanks for any help and advice
592E817A-7331-4A8B-80EF-1D652ED5C66C.jpeg

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're doing the right thing by dipping the coral. Once you're sure it is parasite-free, feed it phytoplankton daily for best growth.

CaliReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s difficult to tell from the photo, but it’s appears to be new growth.
Best way to find out is to blast it with a powerhead to remove any loose parasites etc....

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several goniporas. That is not growth. They start out at tiny baby heads then start getting longer. The back pic looks like an aiptasia, the front it’s hard to tell from the pic. I will try to snap a pic and post it of what new growth looks like

Also, that looks like a zoanthid, not a goni.

OP
OP
Chewbacca

Chewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s difficult to tell from the photo, but it’s appears to be new growth.
Best way to find out is to blast it with a powerhead to remove any loose parasites etc....
Already done that dipped and blasted sitting in isolation for now

OP
OP
Chewbacca

Chewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several goniporas. That is not growth. They start out at tiny baby heads then start getting longer. The back pic looks like an aiptasia, the front it’s hard to tell from the pic. I will try to snap a pic and post it of what new growth looks like

Also, that looks like a zoanthid, not a goni.
Yes you are right my bad , pulling hair out trying to figure it out

OP
OP
Chewbacca

Chewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry my bad I put the wrong name on this frag . Please forgive my over sight

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry my bad I put the wrong name on this frag . Please forgive my over sight

No problem. We all do it.
If the back circle is an aiptasia, hit it with some kalk paste or aip x. They are notorious, at least in my tank, for growing in my zoas. The front circle I wouldn’t worry about since you’ve dipped it already. Put it in the tank under lower light area so you don’t melt it.

OP
OP
Chewbacca

Chewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. We all do it.
If the back circle is an aiptasia, hit it with some kalk paste or aip x. They are notorious, at least in my tank, for growing in my zoas. The front circle I wouldn’t worry about since you’ve dipped it already. Put it in the tank under lower light area so you don’t melt it.
Both on same frag. Identical form and shape. Thanks for your help!

CaliReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a careful view I suspect they are aiptasia. A good dip or a copperband butterfly do the job. If you choose to use a copperband butterfly, be aware that many starve once the aiptasia is gone, so typically introducing them to live or pellets is best.

In the coral farm, when a shipment arrived with aiptasia, we would take a baby soft bristle toothbrush, and brush off the aiptasia. We followed the brushing with a mild dip, a rinse in fsw, then low light for a couple days to let the zoos recover from the trip and process.

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both on same frag. Identical form and shape. Thanks for your help!

Okay. I see the front one now. Most definitely an aiptasia. They will sting your zoas and they’ll close up. Just don’t get the kalk or aip x in the zoa or you may kill that head.
Good luck.

OP
OP
Chewbacca

Chewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I see the front one now. Most definitely an aiptasia. They will sting your zoas and they’ll close up. Just don’t get the kalk or aip x in the zoa or you may kill that head.
Good luck.
Thank you , after further research you are on the money with that ID , I pulled the frag out of isolation tank into a cup sealed off and floating in tank till this afternoon to deal with this critter. I’ll keep you up to date on process and progress.:(

OP
OP
Chewbacca

Chewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, sorry for wrong ID of frag. The aiptasia has been treat with aip-x. After 1 and a1/2 noticed the aiptasia was was leaning off the zoas with a little help from a wood kabob skewer it popped off the frag
Rinse off with fsw into hold containers then did a hearty coral dip using a squeeze bulb jetting around every micro inch of the coral and frag base. Rinse off again and put into another holding container after about 1 hour put frag in QT going to let it stay in QT for 2 weeks. The zoas are just open enough for feeding and looking good. Thanks for all the R2R members help

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 77.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back