Help with high phosphate

glooper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, so I messed up the other day and put a dry rock into my tank (since my LFS said it was fine to do so). After adding the rock my phosphates have spiked and are "maxed out" at 0.9 on my hanna ULR test kit. Before this my phosphates were at 0.03 and this is the only major thing that was added to the tank. I know I should've researched all this beforehand and cured the rock or bought an established rock but decided to trust my LFS.

Also I've taken out this piece of dry rock but I think the damage is already done.

Now my question is what should I be doing to bring down my phosphate levels? I read to do a slow drip with Lanthanum Chloride/RODI mixture and was planning to do that but figured I'd ask and see if I get any feedback first. Also if I do this will I have to do this forever or once the phosphate level goes down will it stay down?

TIA

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a good sized water change. That should do the trick since you've since removed the rock.

OP
OP
G

glooper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 50% water change on Sunday and tested yesterday and had no change

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 50% water change on Sunday and tested yesterday and had no change
If the checker was maxed out and you did a 50% water change and its still maxed its likely you reduced it with the water change but its still to high as it was maxed out you don't really know what the actual figure was just the maximum the checker reads.

OP
OP
G

glooper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the checker was maxed out and you did a 50% water change and its still maxed its likely you reduced it with the water change but its still to high as it was maxed out you don't really know what the actual figure was just the maximum the checker reads.
So would you suggest that I keep up with the big water changes until I get a value less than 0.9? If so how often can I do big water changes?

Thanks

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Phosphate E in my 340 gallon to manage phosphates. Dosing between 5-10 ml 1-2 times a week. Keeps the levels under .1 I scoop aquarium water out, add the Phosphate E and pour it into my roller mat or through a filter sock. That helps catch some of the precipitation. I've not lost a fish or coral yet to dosing LC.

I agree water changes. But, check your source salt water too. Make sure you're not blaming the rock for a bad salt supply.

How heavy was this rock and how large a tank was it put in? How old is the tank? I have a hard time believing one dry rock brought your water to well over .9 after a 50% change. What are your nitrates at?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back