Help with ID of Snail?

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey I just noticed these tiny (1/8") snails on my tank glass. There are at least 10 I noticed. They seem to be good guys eating algae on the glass, but I would just like to know what they are. They look identical to a typical algae grazing turbo snail but just super tiny. I can't get my camera to focus on them they are that small. Weird thing is they also have a tiny shell that I definitely didn't put in there. Any ideas on the species? Thanks for any help.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nassarius, tubos, ceriths and Trochus snails. The only ones that reproduce in my tank are trochus, they spawn into the water column unlike the others that lay eggs. I have all sizes from babies to full grown. If you have trochus snails I would bet that that is what you have. In addition, snails make their shells unlike hermit crabs.

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have nassarius, tubos, ceriths and Trochus snails. The only ones that reproduce in my tank are trochus, they spawn into the water column unlike the others that lay eggs. I have all sizes from babies to full grown. If you have trochus snails I would bet that that is what you have. In addition, snails make their shells unlike hermit crabs.
I do have some Trochus, that must be what they are. Do you know if Turbo snails also make their own shells? I had no idea that they did that, thanks for the info.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have some Trochus, that must be what they are. Do you know if Turbo snails also make their own shells? I had no idea that they did that, thanks for the info.
Reeftivo answered it, good luck.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back