Help with ID

WillReef4Food

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I noticed one of my female anthia was behaving abnormal and a white discoloration around some areas of he body. I tried to catch her, but it was too late as of this morning. I took some pictures and would like some opinions on confirming the cause. It looked like Brooklynella but when I pulled the fish I could see missing scales and some fin shredding so I am thinking it might be aggression? I think I got to it before the shrimp did.

History wise, it was a group of 4 females and 1 which turned Male (5 total). They have been in the tank for nearly a year and were introduced as all females initially. Last fish added was a naso tang about 2 months ago but no agression has been observed by myself except for the normal Male Anthia tending to his flock.

20150914_091545_zpstdwp40l4.jpg

20150914_091159_zpsk3g77set.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More likely a bacterial infection. It's unlikely brook would remain dormant for 2 months since the last fish was added.

OP
OP
WillReef4Food

WillReef4Food

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are missing. It was not obvious while I was trying to catch her but once I pulled her out, I could see sections of scales missing and some fin shredding which lead to my thinking of aggression, after the fact.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very possible. Harassment which inflicts damage/wounds, which then gets infected. Most of the time a fish's natural immune system is capable of handling infections on it's own, but sometimes not...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back