Help with identifying white stuff on rocks

  • Thread starter Thread starter thefeds
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

thefeds

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 30, 2023
Messages
329
Reaction score
154
Location
Flagstaff
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some white stuff growing on my rock and I think it might be a worm or something. My zoa's seem to be suffering from it. Does anyone know what it is and is it harmful? I have been planning on ordering a Nano box of rocks from Tampa Bay and pulling this rock out, but I am not sure yet.

IMG_5314 - this is a video


IMG_5315.jpeg
IMG_5316.jpeg
 
Looks like some type of sponge?
Give it a poke and see if it's squishy.
I have some white stuff growing on my rock and I think it might be a worm or something. My zoa's seem to be suffering from it. Does anyone know what it is and is it harmful? I have been planning on ordering a Nano box of rocks from Tampa Bay and pulling this rock out, but I am not sure yet.

IMG_5314 - this is a video


IMG_5315.jpeg
IMG_5316.jpeg
 
Looks like some type of sponge?
Give it a poke and see if it's squishy.
I thought the same thing. Looks very similar to a sponge a delt with early in my tanks jounrey. '

OP, does it blow off the rocks at all? You can use a turkey baster to see.
 
sorry, was in the middle of water change when I replied above. It does not blow off and when poked it just seems do nothing. After water change it is still all there.

I do also see what looks like white tubes coming out from some of the whitish sections.
 
I decided to ditch the rock I had and replaced it with 10lbs of Gulf Live Rock. Much better!
Glad you are happy with the replacement!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new