Help with math

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I correct in saying that 1 ppm = 1mg/L?

If that is the case who to believe: Hanna ULR 0.15 ppm or ATI ICP 0.03 mg/L both drawn on the same day.
(The Hanna Phosphate checker has consistent on a weekly basis for 6 months.)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I correct in saying that 1 ppm = 1mg/L?

If that is the case who to believe: Hanna ULR 0.15 ppm or ATI ICP 0.03 mg/L both drawn on the same day.
(The Hanna Phosphate checker has consistent on a weekly basis for 6 months.)

ICP is usually reported as phosphorus. The kit may be reporting phosphate, which is about 3x higher.

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP is usually reported as phosphorus. The kit may be reporting phosphate, which is about 3x higher.
ATI reports Phosphorus at 11.00 ug/L and Phosphate at 0.03 mg/L
My Hanna Checker is Phosphate ULR ppm

My ATI Nitrate is 2.62 mg/L which is right on my Red Sea Nitrate test kit which I read as 2.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI reports Phosphorus at 11.00 ug/L and Phosphate at 0.03 mg/L
My Hanna Checker is Phosphate ULR ppm

My ATI Nitrate is 2.62 mg/L which is right on my Red Sea Nitrate test kit which I read as 2.

Then they disagree. Not especially unusual, but I know it is frustrating.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP is more accurate than hobby grade colorimetric tests. If talking about Hanna checker mine (phosphorus ULR) would give different readings if I’m using different batch of powder reagents but it was years ago, I hope now they perform better.

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then they disagree. Not especially unusual, but I know it is frustrating.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Yup. One I might add a phosphate remover the other I would leave alone.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP is more accurate than hobby grade colorimetric tests. If talking about Hanna checker mine (phosphorus ULR) would give different readings if I’m using different batch of powder reagents but it was years ago, I hope now they perform better.

Yep. I'd trust ICP over hanna any day.

There are many things that can throw a the ULR off. For instance that particular checker is suppose to be rinsed immediately after use with RODI water only not tap, even though I think most use tap. Keeping the vile clean of finger prints is also of utmost importance. As @biom said, could be your powder reagents. Fish of hex posted a video about that a while back. And how he learned to always compare a current batch of reagent with a new batch. Also important that you get all the powder out and shake it for the full two mins before testing.

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty good about testing protocol, use a stop watch etc.
It could be the reagent but this same batch was giving me readings of 0.06-0.08.
The RS 425XL has been very stable for over a year. Never had a real ugly phase or algae but the tank was set up with 3 year old rock from another of my tanks.
In the last three months have had a bloom of bubble algae and it was time for an ICP check as I get them about 3-4 times a year.
So was trying to decide if I wanted to run some GFO in a reactor.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back