Help with Maxspect Gyre Setup

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dual Maxspect Gyre system. One side is XF350, the other is XF330. My tank is a 125 gallon setup. I’m currently running a preprogrammed setting that mimics waves in the ocean. I set a maximum percentage of 40% and a minimum 10%. The pumps are too powerful. Even if I set them manually to 10%-20% it seems like the flow is too strong. When I turn it up higher, it definitely kicks into a whole different gear.
I turned off the XF350 pump and I’m just using the XF330. Even the single pump seems to be causing issues with my corals. I have a hammer coral that’s not opening up and a Xenia that just blows over. The fish and invertebrates seem to not care what the pump settings are. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

OP
OP
reeferericb

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a change of position is required. Where are they situated at the moment?
They are on the sides of the tank facing each other. I have large rock formations in the tank that I thought would slow down the current in the middle. The flow doesn’t seem to slow down at all.

Attachments

• 2FE7BBC2-C311-463C-A86E-7DDE6EF87BBB.jpeg
    2FE7BBC2-C311-463C-A86E-7DDE6EF87BBB.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 98

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I would do is get rid of the xenia.
With both pumps running in that position, the point of turbulence will vary, but if both running at the same percentage, it will be to the right of centre in that pic.
This will force the current down and backward in the opposite direction. All this turbulence is going on right where your corals are.
With one running though, it should create a nice gyre flow from right to left over the surface and then back along the bottom from left to right. Is it still an issue in aforementioned configuration and how long and wide is your tank?

Last edited:

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just run one pump. People drastically overestimate how much flow they need and it especially ticks off their softies and lps. You only need just a tiny bit of polyp movement every now and then.

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i Have 2 xf 330s on a 60 frag tank, i dont think your issue is flow , your rocks are sparkling new

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I’m missing how mature rocks effect flow?
Your tank maturity is of 1 month . most people don’t have much luck with that time frame . If you suspect flow why not turn off both gyres and see how corals react

OP
OP
reeferericb

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank maturity is of 1 month . most people don’t have much luck with that time frame . If you suspect flow why not turn off both gyres and see how corals react
As soon as the pump is off the Xenia settles down and starts pulsing immediately. The hammer only opens slightly at night. I’m attributing most of its behavior to my water parameters. I’m going to start dosing alkalinity and calcium this week and see if that helps. My alk is around 7 while my calcium is upper 300’s (380 I believe). Both numbers seem a little low from what I’ve read.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back