Help with meat corals

AshleyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help guys. For some context I have 3 acanthophyilla, 1 Indophyilla, 2 cynarina and 1 Wellso in my 3 year old HOB filter tank. I’ve had some for a couple weeks, months and upward to a year.
I got my first acanthophyilla shipped across state lines which arrived late and damaged, it had ripped a huge chunk of its flesh off. I nursed it back with Aquacipro. Then I got an Ultra glitter aussie acantho, followed by a Superman acantho and a master Indophyilla. Everyone was super big and happy for awhile, but the last week or so they stay small and scrunched up. All but the ultra glitter which has been getting bigger than normal this week and eating every night. I have checked for pests, none that I can see but I did get a wrasse to be on the safe side.
My clams, duncans and acropora colonies are doing well so I don’t believe it to be the water chemistry but I will list my parameters at the end of this.
They are not by any aggressive corals that can be stinging them, unless they are stinging each other (one is Australian, not sure if it’s like torches). They get around 150PAR I want to estimate, as I have the Red Sea LED lights turned down to only 70%. They’re also getting low flow and have been getting AB+.

I’m stumped… please help, these costed me and arm and a leg.
Parameters—————
Ammonia 0
Nitrite: 0.001
Nitrate: 20ppm (I added Cheato today)
Calcium: 420ppm
Magnesium: 1440ppm
Alkalinity: 9.0
P04: 0ppm (It’s been 0 for over a year, I don’t believe this to be the cause, I’m doing everything to raise it )
pH: 8.2
Temp: 77.2
Salinity 1.025
Lights: RedSeaLED 50’s
Flow: Low
Tank age: Mature 3 years old
Surface agitation: Moderate
Lights are on from 10-10 slowly ramping down each hour past noon.
Fish in tank: 1 Clown, 1 Mandarin Goby, 1 Melanarus Wrasse
CUC: 1 blue legged hermit, bumblebee snails, assorted snails. No crabs.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help guys. For some context I have 3 acanthophyilla, 1 Indophyilla, 2 cynarina and 1 Wellso in my 3 year old HOB filter tank. I’ve had some for a couple weeks, months and upward to a year.
I got my first acanthophyilla shipped across state lines which arrived late and damaged, it had ripped a huge chunk of its flesh off. I nursed it back with Aquacipro. Then I got an Ultra glitter aussie acantho, followed by a Superman acantho and a master Indophyilla. Everyone was super big and happy for awhile, but the last week or so they stay small and scrunched up. All but the ultra glitter which has been getting bigger than normal this week and eating every night. I have checked for pests, none that I can see but I did get a wrasse to be on the safe side.
My clams, duncans and acropora colonies are doing well so I don’t believe it to be the water chemistry but I will list my parameters at the end of this.
They are not by any aggressive corals that can be stinging them, unless they are stinging each other (one is Australian, not sure if it’s like torches). They get around 150PAR I want to estimate, as I have the Red Sea LED lights turned down to only 70%. They’re also getting low flow and have been getting AB+.

I’m stumped… please help, these costed me and arm and a leg.
Parameters—————
Ammonia 0
Nitrite: 0.001
Nitrate: 20ppm (I added Cheato today)
Calcium: 420ppm
Magnesium: 1440ppm
Alkalinity: 9.0
P04: 0ppm (It’s been 0 for over a year, I don’t believe this to be the cause, I’m doing everything to raise it )
pH: 8.2
Temp: 77.2
Salinity 1.025
Lights: RedSeaLED 50’s
Flow: Low
Tank age: Mature 3 years old
Surface agitation: Moderate
Lights are on from 10-10 slowly ramping down each hour past noon.
Fish in tank: 1 Clown, 1 Mandarin Goby, 1 Melanarus Wrasse
CUC: 1 blue legged hermit, bumblebee snails, assorted snails. No crabs.

Have you tried feeding them bits of LRS Reef Frenzy, shrimp, clams, oyster or even pellets with selcon and/or oil added? AB+ in my opinion just gets them receptive to eating, and/but then they need food. Make sure the fish don't steal their food bits - feeding an hour after lights out helps us with this. If they haven't eaten in a while, might even turn down flow so food doesn't blow off while they are realizing, 'hey - this will help me bulk myself back up to health!' ... over time they get faster with recognizing food and folding up over the food bits

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

AshleyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried feeding them bits of LRS Reef Frenzy, shrimp, clams, oyster or even pellets with selcon and/or oil added? AB+ in my opinion just gets them receptive to eating, and/but then they need food. Make sure the fish don't steal their food bits - feeding an hour after lights out helps us with this. If they haven't eaten in a while, might even turn down flow so food doesn't blow off while they are realizing, 'hey - this will help me bulk myself back up to health!' ... over time they get faster with recognizing food and folding up over the food bits
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my thread, I super appreciate it! Actually other than the glitter acantho, none of them put out any sort of feeder tentacles, even after dark. So I don’t believe I’ve ever fed them. I’m looking into buying the pellets. I’m sure them not having a good supply of food is adding to the stress but I don’t think it’s the exact cause. I just got the Indophyilla 2 1/2 weeks ago and it shouldn’t have taken a downward spin the same day as all the rest. Do you think the Aussie acantho is stinging the rest?? It’s gotten supersized while they’ve gotten super small.

Upvote 0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my thread, I super appreciate it! Actually other than the glitter acantho, none of them put out any sort of feeder tentacles, even after dark. So I don’t believe I’ve ever fed them. I’m looking into buying the pellets. I’m sure them not having a good supply of food is adding to the stress but I don’t think it’s the exact cause. I just got the Indophyilla 2 1/2 weeks ago and it shouldn’t have taken a downward spin the same day as all the rest. Do you think the Aussie acantho is stinging the rest?? It’s gotten supersized while they’ve gotten super small.

You'll notice a stinger tentacle - if you are super concerned about warfare then run charcoal for a day thru reactor or filter of some sort... after about a day charcoal use is over so just toss it. Instead of charcoal, what I'd probably first do is put a rock in the direction water flows from Aussie towards others, so even if it is trying, it can't (HA - tricky!) It doesn't take much of a rock, just something that stands up making a little 'wall' without putting a bit of tacky Plexiglas or something in there... but even that I'd wait until I catch it at it.. because I think its just got better zooxanthellae making it food from light and what you are feeding

I'm thinking the others are starving if their tentacles don't come out. Perhaps they've given up hope... but they don't realize YOU have hope. When we first got ours were in the same shape, so don't despair... ours turned into beasts and we rehomed over to a friend so we still have 'visitation rights' to our babies. As long as their mouth hasn't started dissolving, its just food and time to bring them back.

Go buy yourself seafood dinner, cut the end off, rinse off any spices and then cut up into small bits maybe +/- 4mm or so for your corals.

People share their food with their cats and dogs, to get started while you pick something out, just get them something/anything to get them going.

Keep us posted!!

Upvote 0

Reefer4fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano with Cynarina, Indophilliya, acanthophyllia and Trachyphyllia touching. actually overlapping and not an issue. In the past I lost 2 pieces to what I believed was Phosphates at 0. Now, I feed them a mouth size chunk of reef frenzy once a week. As a result my nitrates are above 10, and phosphates at .16. To my eyes they seem happy and fluffy. They do not like high par. I have them at max 100-110. if I go above that, the indophilliya starts going pale. They are quite resilient to salinity changes too.

Upvote 0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
… i can’t believe i’m reading this.
i also can’t believe it’s not butter….

LOL ... can't believe you singled out the 'rinse it' suggestion for desperate newbies... further up I did better ... now I've got to watch what and how I write it... ROFL

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back