Help with Metal Halides and T12s

  • Thread starter Thread starter Feet4Fish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
You can get those reflectors in 6 foot lengths as well, it looks like. I had no seen those before... well done.

Keep in mind that with my VHO to T5 tests, I used Sunpower. If you use a typical grow light, then the VHO will destroy them since the reflectors and ballasts are not as good as the ATI ones. The T5s from a grow light would probably be even less than the VHOs with just the internal reflector.
 
I have another question for you all.... the halide reflectors are a little "dirty" the lights had been used i think without glass shields which resulted in both the bulbs and lights being a but grubby. Anything I should not used when cleaning the reflectors? Thoughts would be water and perhaps window cleaner. Also same question with bulb. My plan with bulb would just be water and a rag unless maybe vinegar is ok. Let me know and I appreciate your help in advance!
 
I have another question for you all.... the halide reflectors are a little "dirty" the lights had been used i think without glass shields which resulted in both the bulbs and lights being a but grubby. Anything I should not used when cleaning the reflectors? Thoughts would be water and perhaps window cleaner. Also same question with bulb. My plan with bulb would just be water and a rag unless maybe vinegar is ok. Let me know and I appreciate your help in advance!
ScotchBrite
 
RO on a clean towel gets them super bright for me.

I have had to use a bit of the CLR type of stuff if they are REALLY bad, but usually the reflectors are already damaged at this point.
 
I use white vinegar+RO to clean lenses, bulbs(single ended only) and reflectors.
 
Yeah once a drop of water sits long enough it seems to oxidize they surface of the polished aluminum and I can’t seem to get it shiny again. It feel permanently rough
 
They reflector aren’t bad at all but a light cleaning will do the trick. The bulbs aren’t too bad either. Will try straight RO if need more oompf will throw in a little vinegar. Thanks again!
 
Do NOT use scotch brite. You will scracth the reflective surface and seriously drop your par numbers.

I suppose it really doesnt matter, it is just an aquarium. When i ran a commercial grow operation we replaced our reflectors once a year. You can just never get then as clean as new. And par numbers go down by about 15%. We tried everything, even polishing them. Again, this was a business and not a hobby. When you are spending $12k month on electricity, you want the PAR as high as possible.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new